S-Bahn Dresden 1973 als SV-Verbindung (Stadt- und Vorortbahn) eröffnet, 1 Jahr später Einführung des S-Bahn-Tarifes. Die Spurweite 1435 mm und das Stromsystem 15 KV/16 2/3 Hz entsprechen der Fernbahn. Zum S-Bahntarif zählten die Verbindungen nach Pirna, Meißen-Triebischtal, Niederau, Weinböhla, Grenzstraße, Ottendorf-Okrilla-Nord und Arnsdorf. Nach 1990 Bezeichnung der im Taktverkehr befahrenen Strecken als S-Bahn.

In den letzten Jahren erfolgte u.a. der Ausbau der Strecke Hbf. - Pirna mit seperaten S-Bahngleisen und verbesserten Haltepunkten, die Verlängerung der S2 von der Station Grenzstraße zum Flughafen, die Elektrifizierung des Abschnittes Dresden-Neustadt - Flughafen, der Wiederaufbau der durch die Flut 2002 völlig zerstörten Strecke nach Tharandt sowie der Bau eines völlig neuen S-Bahn-Haltepunktes am World Trade Center.

An der S-Bahn liegen die meisten Ausflugsziele: mit der S1 gelangt man in Südostrichtung in die Sächsische Schweiz
(oder in Heidenau umsteigen nach Altenberg/Osterzgebirge), nach Nordwesten über Radebeul-Ost (hier Umsteigen in die Lößnitztalbahn nach Moritzburg) nach Meißen, mit der S3 in den Tharandter Wald.

Durch die Überlagerung der Linien S1 und S2 rollen die Züge ab Fahrplanwechsel am 12.12.2004 zwischen Pirna und dem Bahnhof Dresden-Neustadt im Viertelstundentakt. Zudem wurden mehrere Haltepunkte modernisiert und zu kundenfreundlichen Schnittstellen mit Bus und Straßenbahn ausgebaut. [38]

Sachsenallee,  joining with the Sachsenplatz is a long place area on the bridge-head of the Albertsbridge, on the side of the Inner City is the Court House called Landgericht, until 1945 the Jägerkaserne (barracks) and attractive, stately homes where standing opposite. On the corner to the Gerokstraße is the town house built by Hans Erlwein in 1910-14 and used as savings bank called Sparkasse.
Sachsenbad entstand 1928-29 in Pieschen nach einem Entwurf von Stadtbaurat Paul Wolf als Kernstück eines größeren Sportparks. Seit Jahren dem Verfall preisgegeben, ist die Zukunft des zur Entstehung als "vorbildliche Volksbadeanlage" gelobten Ensembles ungewiss.

Die Stadtverwaltung erwägt, den Bau abzureißen und ein neues Bad zu errichten.

Sachsen-Forum,  significant shopping centre in the hear of the estate Gorbitz.
Salomonisapotheke 1753 errichtet, das viergeschossige Gebäude mit seitlichen Pilastern und Ornamenten unter den Fensterverdachungen im Mittelrisalit wurde 1760 ohne die letzteren vereinfacht wieder hergestellt. Die Fassade prägte eine große mittige Fensterkukarne im Dachgeschoss. Das Haus derzeit wird in modernen Materialien zusammen mit dem Hotel de Saxe wiedererrichtet.

In diesem Gebäude erfand Friedrich Adolf Struve 1820 das weltweit erste künstlich erzeugte Mineralwasser.

Freiberger Schankhaus
Als erstes Restaurant in einem der neu errichteten Gebäude um den Neumarkt wurde am 27.03.2006 das "Freiberger Schankhaus" in der ehemaligen Salomonis-Apotheke eröffnet.

Saloppe,  built in 1871-75 by Theodor Friedrich and Bernhard Salbach and the first Waterworks of Dresden, after the destruction in February 1945 only parts of the west wing were left, which were used as Warehouse in 1949 and refurbished in 1980.

Oberhalb des Wasserwerkes befindet sich das gleichnamige Ausflugslokal. Es ist die älteste Schankwirtschaft Dresdens, dessen Geschichte bis ins Jahr 1760 zurückreicht. Von 1876 bis zur Zerstörung 1945 stand hier ein großzügiger Restaurant-komplex mit Aussichtsturm und Gartenterrasse. Er entwickelte sich zu einer der beliebtesten und größten Gaststätten Dresdens. Heute ist die Saloppe Veranstaltungsort und einfache Gartenwirtschaft und ist von Schließung bedroht.

Salzgasse Mitte des 15. Jh. entstandene Gasse am Rande der damaligen "Nawstad", der Neustadt auf dem Gelände der seinerzeit eingegliederten Siedlung um die Frauenkirche. Sie beginnt heute zwischen Coselpalais und Haus Zum Schwan gegenüber der Kirche und endet nahe am Kurländer Palais. Sie war im mittleren Teil bis in die 1930er Jahre kleinstädtisch-ländlich bebaut, u.a. mit der bekannten Gaststätte "Mittmann's Restaurant". Diese Bebauung wurde noch kurz vor dem 2. WK durch schlichte Wohnhäuser ersetzt, die sich in der Höhe an den beidseitig anschließenen Barockhäussern orientierten. Bekanntestes Gebäude war der gemeinsame Kopfbau mit der Rampischen Straße, ein beliebtes Malermotiv.
Sanierungsgebiete / Redevelopment areas
Sarrasani,  see Circus Sarrasani
Sarrasani-Brunnen 2007 vom ortsansässigen Bildhauer Wanitschke geschaffener Brunnen am Standort des im Krieg zerstörten Zirkus-Sarrasani-Gebäudes am Carolaplatz. Er zeigt eine der für für diesen Zirkus typischen Elefantenformationen.
Sächsische Landesbibliothek / Saxonian federal state library,  in 1556 the elector August of Saxonia begins to develop a "Liberey" with the character of a scholar library. It moved in 1728 from the castle into several pavilions of the Zwingers, in 1739 the famous Maya hand writing was acquired. In 1786 the removal takes place into the Japanese palace, where the library is accessible since 1788 by the public. In the future there are three renamings: in 1806 into "royal public library", in 1917 into "royal Saxonian federal state library", but in 1918 the "royal" becomes already void again.

In 1947 the removal from the destroyed Japanese palace into the Marienallee took place, in 1952 the re-opening of the in 1935 created book museum. In 1983 is the German Phototheque attached to the library.

In 1996 the fusion with the university library to the SLUB came into force by law, in 2002 the removal into the common new building on the road Zellescher Weg took place.

Sächsische Landes-, Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek / Saxonian federal-, state and university library,  in 1998-2002 the new building was established on the road Zelleschen Weg 18 for the in 1996 fused Saxonian federal state library and the institutions established of the university library. Substantial functions like the reading hall are in two basements covered in a natural style. Only two natural stone parallelepipeds, disguised with travertin with magazine, Cafeteria and administration stand out as Kuben.
Sächsische Landesschule Klotzsche,  see Landesschule
Sächsisches Serumwerk,   das Traditionsunternehmen zur Herstellung von Grippeimpfstoff gehört zur SmithKline Beecham Pharma GmbH & Co. KG, einem Unternehmen der GlaxoSmithKline-Gruppe (GSK). Das an der Striesener Straße gelegene Werk stellt innerhalb der GSK-Gruppe weltweit als einziges diesen Impfstoff her und ist die einzige größere Produktionsstätte in der Dresdner Innenstadt.

Keimzelle ist die 1908 durch Karl August Lingner errichtete bakteriologische Abteilung der Dresdner Chemische Laboratorium Lingner GmbH. 1911 wurde das Sächsische Serumwerk und Institut für Bakteriotherapie gegründet und 1922 in eine AG umgewandelt.

1945 gelang es dem schwer beschädigten Serumwerk, die Produktion dringend benötigter Arzneimittel binnen weniger Wochen wieder aufzunehmen. 1962 erfolgte die Umwandlung in eine Kommanditgesellschaft mit staatlicher Beteiligung, 1972 die Verstaatlichung. In den 1980er Jahren wurde durch umfassende Modernisierung der Anschluss an internationale Standards erreicht.

1992 erfolgte die Übernahme durch den Arzneimittelhersteller SmithKlineBeecham, der 2000 mit Glaxo Wellcome zur GSK-Gruppe fusionierte. 2005/07 entstand ein Erweiterungsbau entlang der Zirkusstraße, Richtfest war am 03.04.2006.

Serumwerk plant zweite Erweiterung
für die kommenden Jahre plant GlaxoSmithKline eine erneute Erweitung im Karree zwischen Pillnitzer, Stein-, Ziegel- und Gerichtsstraße. Dort sollen künftig Impstoffe ohne die bisher übliche Hühnereier-Variante hergestellt werden.

Schauburg Kino an der Kreuzung Königsbrücker Straße / Bischofsweg (Äußere Neustadt) wurde 1927 nach Plänen von Martin Pietzsch errichtet. Es hatte seinerzeit ca. 1000 Plätze, überstand den letzten Krieg unbeschadet und hat heute (nach Umbauten 1950, 1960/61 und 1994) 717 Plätze in 3 Sälen.
Schauspielhaus,  building on the Ostra Allee and colloquially called Big House ("Großes Haus"), opposed to the Little House ("Kleines Haus") in the Glacisstraße in the New Town. The play house was built in 1911-13 by William Lossow and Hans Max Kühne.

After its destruction in the war it was rebuilt in 1947 and was the first Dresden theatre to be re-opened and had then 1100 seats. It was until the opening of the third Semper Opera in 1985 also home to the Staatsoper.

Today up to 810 visitors can find place there, since the refurbishmant that took place in 1995 , nach neueren Eigenformationen des Hauses "max. 799 Plätze im Saal, 170 Plätze Hinterm Eisernen Vorhang". 2007 wurde das Haus erneut saniert und dabei äußerlich in den Originalzustand mit weißer Putzfassade versetzt.

Scheune vom scheune e.V. betriebenes Kulturzentrum im Szeneviertel Äußere Neustadt. Im Haus befindet sich außerdem das beliebte Scheunecafé ().

Theater, Kino, Konzerte und Diskothek - die Scheune ist ein beliebter Veranstaltungsort mit einem ausgezeichneten Programm. Doch das eigentliche Herzstück ist das gemütliche Café. Hier treffen sich junge Kulturinteressierte bei einem Kaffee und bereden die neueste Theateraufführung. ... Dresden von seiner sympathischsten Seite!

Schillerdenkmal,  monument built in 1913 by Selmar Werner in the northern part of the avenue Hauptstraße.

Ein weiterer Schiller-Gedenkstein befindet sich auf dem Gelände des Schillergartens

Schillergalerie,  attractive shopping centre on the place called Schillerplatz. The mall, opened on the 1st December 2000 is so far the only one integrated into historic buildings.
The Schillergalerie has also got a CinemaxX Dresden with 8 halls, the largest one with 551 seats.
Schillergarten 1683 im alten Fährgut eröffnet, ist er einer der ältesten noch existierenden Dresdner Gasthöfe. 1764 kaufte die Witwe Segedin die Fährschenke und heiratete den Lakaien Fleischer, die Schenke heißt nun "Fleischersches Schankgut".

1785-1787 war Friedrich Schiller Stammgast und verewigte die Wirtsfrau als "Gustel von Blasewitz" im Wallenstein. Seit 1859 heißt das Restaurant Schillergarten, wurde 1895/96 von Karl Emil Scherz umgebaut und überstand relativ unbeschadet den 2. Weltkrieg. Seit 1960 HO-Gaststätte, musste sie in den 1980er Jahren wegen baulichem Verfall geschlossen werden.

1993-1996 wurde der Schillergarten umfassend saniert, wechselnde Gastwirte betrieben ihn bis zur Zerstörung durch das Hochwasser 2002.

Nach erneutem Betreiberwechsel sowie Beseitigung der Hochwasserschäden hat der Schillergarten seit 30.11.2004 wieder geöffnet.

Im Garten kann seit Anfang Mai 2005 wieder der 1859 aufgestellte Schiller-Gedenkstein besichtigt werden.

Schillerhäuschen,  built on the same propery as the Körnerhaus in Loschwitz, it is a former commercial building with a vine press. The poet Friedrich Schiller used to stay here occationally.
Schillerplatz,  busy junction heading the bridge called Blaues Wunder, traditional centre of Administration, shopping and restaurants/bars. A Doctor's surgery is nearby. In front of the Schillergalerie on the Loschwitzer Straße is the central station for the busses and trams. In the Naumanstraße is the historical Town Hall (Rathaus) of Blasewitz.

The current design of the sqare dates back to the 19th century. Individual buildings were destroyed in 1945, yet the Schillerplatz center took over the central function of the totally bombed city centre.

As last war-related gap the north east corner was again cultivated. The new complex is used by the "Sparkasse" and "Senior's Domicil Am Blauen Wunder" ().
Into the in 2004 finished building was included the earlier "Gasthof Blasewitz". This is part of the preserved east land development of the old village square, also the square (today used for weekly markets) is here still well recognizable.

On the beginning of the bridge left and right hand site are the 2 famous restaurants "Café Toskana" and Schillergarten and beneath the bridge the "Villa Marie" with a Restaurant of the same name.

Schillerstraße,  a steep connection road leading from Loschwitz to the Mordgrundbrücke (Mord ground bridge), past some beautiful buildings of different origin and style. Also the former premier of Saxonia Biedenkopf used to live in the Schevenstraße, a side road.
Schillerstraße steile Verbindungsstraße von Loschwitz zur Mordgrundbrücke, vorbei an teils sehenswerten Villen verschiedenster Epochen, auch der frühere Ministerpräsident Biedenkopf wohnte hier in der Schevenstraße, einer Seitenstraße.
Schlesischer Platz,  busy fore court of the station Bahnhof Dresden-Neustadt, betweenn 1962-1991 it was called
Dr.-Friedrich-Wolf-Platz. Dr. Wolf was a medical Doctor, writer and Antifashist. The most significant building is the former Hotel Hansa which is today a Residencial Home.

Umgestaltung Schlesischer Platz
2006 wurde der Bahnhofsvorplatz neu gestaltet, der südwestliche Bereich ist jetzt den Fußgägern vorbehalten.
Eine grüne Insel mit 20 Bäumen und ein Wasserspiel mit 18 kleinen Fontänen werten den Platz seitdem auf.

Schlösser,  see special page Castles and Palaces
(Schlösser and Palais)
Schloss, Castle,  see Residenzschloss
Schloss Albrechtsberg,  one of the three castles which are called Albrechtsschlösser, was built in 1850-1854 for Prince Albrecht of Prussia by Adolph Lohse in the style of renaissance and old classic. 1925 verkaufte der letzte Besitzer das Schloss und den 13 ha großen Park an die Stadt. In East German times the palast was used for the Pioneer organisation, an institution compulsary for all pupils. Today it is a Ball Hall and used for entertainment.

Heute wird das von der Konzert- und Kongressgesellschaft Dresden mbH verwaltete Haus für Kongresse, Konzerte, Bälle und Eheschließungen genutzt.

Schloss Burgk [Stadt Freital],  das Rittergut im 1168 erstmals urkundlich erwähnten Burgk wurde im 19. Jahrhundert zur glanzvollen Residenz des Freiherrn Carl Friedrich August Dathe von Burgk. Es war zugleich Mittelpunkt des 1819 gegründeten Freiherrlich von Burgker Steinkohlen- und Eisenhüttenwerkes, eines der am besten geführten Montanunternehmen Sachsens.

Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde das Rittergut enteignet und ein Museum eingerichtet.

Schloss Eckberg,  second of the three castles Albrechtsschlösser, and used as an elegant restaurant surrounded by a beautiful park and with an amazing view across the river banks of the river Elbe down to the Inner City.
Schloss Hoflößnitz [City of Radebeul],  ist ein ehemals Kurfürstlich-Sächsisches, heute städtisches Weingut im Radebeuler Stadtteil Oberlößnitz an der Sächsischen Weinstraße. Das Schlösschen entstand 1650 unter Kurfürst Johann Georg I. nach Plänen von Ezechiel Eckhardt neben einem bereits vorhandenem Presshaus. Es wird heute als Museum sowie als Weingut mit Verkaufsstelle und Ausschank genutzt.
Schloss Moritzburg [Community of Moritzburg],  built in 1542-46 by Wolf Caspar von Klengel (1656-72) and changed by Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann (1723-36). The former Hunting residence of the Saxonian court is in the middle of the Lake area of Moritzburg, in fact the castle itself was built on a tiny island, just large enough to hold the square building with its 4 towers and the chapel. The main road of town and the causeway lined with trees is forming a junction.

The castle of Moritzburg is, for apparent reasons, one of the most popular places to visit by tourists and the Dresden people.

Schloss Nickern die Schlossanlage, die sich überwiegend in Privatbesitz befand, steht in Nickern auf den Resten einer Wasserburg aus dem 12. Jahrhundert. 1945 wurde der letzte Besitzer enteignet, im Schloss wurden Wohnungen eingerichtet. In den 1980/90er Jahren waren Clubräume und Gastronomie untergebracht. Heute ist es wieder in Privathand, Schlossräume können aber für private Veranstaltungen gemietet werden.
Schloss Nöthnitz [Gemeinde Bannewitz],  1630 erbautes Renaissance-Schloss im Bannewitzer Ortsteil Nöthnitz. Die Schlossanlage basiert auf einem mittelalterlichen Kern, aus dem im 16. Jh.das Schloss als Drei-Flügel-Bau mit Wendelstein errichtet wurde. Im 18. Jh. richtete Reichsgraf Heinrich von Bünau im linken Flügel des Schlosses seine damals weltberühmte Bibliothek ein. Für ihn arbeitete hier in den Jahren 1748 bis 1754 Johann Joachim Winckelmann. Im 19. Jh. erfolgten Umbauten am Schloss.

Nach der Wende wurde Schloss Nöthnitz Mittelpunkt des Kulturlebens der Gemeinde, was allerdings durch jüngste Verkaufsabsichten gefährdet scheint.

Schloss Pillnitz,  built in 1720-24 by Mattäus Daniel Pöppelmann as a pleasure palast Lustschloss for the members of the House Wettin, at first only the Water Palais and the Hill Palais. In 1788-91 Christian Traugott Weinling and Christian Friedrich Exner extended the castle area with two side wings for both buildings. In 1818-25 Christian Friedrich Schuricht built the New Palais on the grounds of the old Renaissance Castle. All buildings are built under the influence of oriental architecture. In the Water Palais and the Hill Palais the Kunstgewerbemuseum (museum of arts and crafts) is, in the new palace the Catholic chapel of the castle.

Well worth seeing is also the 28 ha large Park of the Castle with unique formation of hedges builts, Orangerie, Palmenhaus, Kamelia House and Chinese Pavillion, as well as the "Syringa Garden".

In the village of Pillnitz is the church called Weinbergkirche and some nice restaurants.

Schloss Prohlis die Familie der Freiherren von Kap-herr kaufte 1868 das Rittergut Prohlis, ließ 1888/89 das Wohngebäude abreißen und auf dessen Grundmauern Schloss Prohlis nach Plänen des Semperschülers Bernhard Schreiber im Neorenaissancestil errichten. Für den angrenzenden Park zeichnete Oberhofgärtner Johann Carl Friedrich Bouché verantwortlich.

Das nach 1945 verfallene Schloss fiel 1980 einem Brand zum Opfer und wurde 1985 abgerissen.

Schloss Schönfeld,  a castle built in Renaissance style in the village Schönfeld, part of the community of Schönfeld-Weißig.
Schloss Übigau,  (from 1836 until 1845 the administration of the "Aktien-Maschinenbau-Verein" was accomodated here. In 1839 the first steam ship and in 1839 the first steam train were built on these grounds. Despite having been sold to an investor the Castle is currently in a state of destruction.)

1724-26 von Johann Friedrich Eosander von Göthe für Feldmarschall Graf Jacob Heinrich von Flemming errichtet. 1726 kaufte es Graf Wackerbarth für August den Starken - ab 1727 fanden hier prunkvolle Feste des Hofes statt, welcher Übigau letztmalig 1770 besuchte. 1813 zerstörten napoleonische Truppen die Inneneinrichtung.

Im Schloss befand sich von 1836 bis 1845 die Verwaltung des Aktien-Maschinebau-Vereins unter Andreas Schubert, auf dem Grundstück wurden 1837 das erste sächsische Personendampfschiff und 1839 die erste deutsche Lokomotive erbaut. 1886-1921 gab es hier eine Schlossschänke, 1930 sollte das Gebäude sogar abgerissen werden. Heute verfällt das Gebäude trotz Verkaufs an einen Investor zusehens.

Zur Rettung des Schlosses Übigau als barockes Baudenkmal und Zeitzeugnis der Dresdner Industriegeschichte hat sich eine "Bürgerinitiative Schloss Übigau" () gebildet.

Schloss Wachwitz,  royal vine yard and since 1824 used as a Summer residence, in 1825 a palais was built and later destroyed because of the erection of the Royal Mansion () by Wilhelm Teichgräber in 1893.

In 1936-37 Hans Max Kühne (Office Lossow & Kühne) built the real castle of Wachwitz in neo-barock style, used as residence by the abdicating Wettins. Then the castle and Villa from the Soviet military were used as administrative headquarters, and later served the castle of the Saxon Academy for training of teachers and educators as a seat unused since the mid-1990s, the building fell into disrepair.

Um die Rückgabe dieser Güter wurde nach 2002 ein Rechtsstreit zwischen dem Haus Wettin und dem Freistaat Sachsen geführt, den Gerichte zuungunsten der Wettiner entschieden. 2007 wurde das Anweesen vom Freistaat an die private V.V.K. veräußert, die dort Wohnungen errichten will.

Zum insgesamt ca.27 ha großen parkähnlichem Areal gehören noch die Weinbergskapelle, das Presshaus als ältestes Gebäude), das alte und neue Gärtnerhaus, Wildhüterhaus sowie vier Wohngebäude.

Schloss Wackerbarth [City of Radebeul],  today
Sächsisches Staatsweingut GmbH Schloss Wackerbarth ().

Also called the Wackerbarths Ruhe, baroque plant mentioned in the quarter Kötzschenbroda probably once established after plans by Johann Christoph Knöffel as old age retreat for the realm count August Christoph of Wackerbarth. Since 1957 is here the seat of the state wine property. Wackerbarths Ruhe is embedded in park plants and vineyards, in the latters lies the Jakob tower, one in 1743 built entertainment house designated after the original owner of the vineyard.

Schloss Weesenstein [Community of Müglitztal],  around 1200 based, the Castle Weesenstein was established on a rock crest over the Mueglitz valley.

First it served the Meissen-Bohemia trade route as safety device and as outpost against the bohemian neighbour. In the 15th century the development was transformed into a live-in castle, in the 16th century the fore-castle with the Renaissance portal develops.

Worth seeing are the stucco works, the Chinese leather and picture wallpapers, the Rococo wall painting and furniture, the Castle chapel as well as the baroque French garden.

Source: www.dresden-bilder.de [page Weesenstein]

In 2002 a flood of the Mueglitz destroyed the garden plant nearly completely, in the meantime however it was restored as far as possible.

Schlosskirche Lockwitz, die ältere Geschichte von Kirche und Schloss reicht bereits bis ins 13. Jh. zurück, die Kirche war bis 1623 Schlosskapelle und ist seither die Gemeindekirche von Lockwitz. 1699-1702 erhielt sie unter Gottheld Friedrich von Schönberg (er besaß Rittergut und Schloss Lockwitz zwischen 1680 und 1726) ihre heutige Form, welche durch einen wuchtigen Unterbau und den barock gegliederten Turm gekennzeichnet ist.
Dresdens einzige evangelisch-lutherische Kirche ist noch heute mit dem Schloss baulich verbunden. Aus dem 17./18.Jh. stammen der Altar, das Kreuzrippengewölbe, die Kanzel und die umlaufenden Emporen. Die Kirche wird derzeit schrittweise saniert.
Schloßplatz

entstand in der ersten Hälfte der 18.Jh., nachdem Kurfürst Friedrich August II mehrere Gebäude abtragen und einen Brückenbogen zuschütten ließ, um Platz für die zu bauende Hofkirche zu gewinnen. Der erst «der freie Platz vor der Elbbrücke» genannte Platz erhielt um 1830 die Benennung Schloßplatz.
Heute wird der Brückenkopf neben der Hofkirche vom Georgenbau des Schlosses und vom Ständehaus begrenzt.

Schloßstraße,  formerly a narrow and busy lane between the Altmarkt and the gate Georgentor, now part of the connection of the station Hauptbahnhof to the square Albertplatz in the New Town. In the North-West area is the castle Stadtschloss, which gives the road its name, opposite the new chambers building called Kanzleihaus. In the South-West is an estate called "Quartier M" (M stands for middle), built in the 1960's and reconstructed on the other side the Kulturpalast with its mural, called "The way of the red flag" covered since many years.
Schottische Kirche 1884 im Schweizer Viertel der Südvorstadt errichtete Kirche für die hiesige Schottisch-Prebyterianische Gemeinde. Das äußere Erscheinungsbild des im Geiste von Semper und seiner Schüler errichteten Gebäudes glich dem der benachbarten Villen, es wurde 1945 zerstört und um 1954 abgetragen.
Schönborn see special page Ortschaft Schönborn
Schönfeld see special page Schönfeld
Schönfeld-Weißig
see special page Ortschaft Schönfeld-Weißig
Schönfelder Hochland,  landscape above the Slopes of Loschwitz-Pillnitz leading into the area called Lausitz. It has a mainly rural character with many little villages, which were suburbanized in 1999 and belong to the administrative district of Ortschaft Schönfeld-Weißig now.

In this recreation area are some nice little Restaurants, romantic paths are leading through valleys like the Keppgrund, the Wachwitzgrund down to the river Elbe.

Schullwitz see special page Schullwitz
Schulzenmühle entstand vermutlich im 16. Jh. im oberen Teil des Zschonergrundes in der Nähe des Dorfes Steinbach 1568 wurde sie als Steinbacher Mühle erstmals in einer Urkunde erwähnt. später wurde sie nach den neuen Besitzern benannt. Mit der Entdeckung des Grundes als Ausflugsziel entstand eine einfache Gaststätte, die bis heute existiert.
Schützenplatz rechteckige Platzanlage mit Grünfläche in der Wilsdruffer Vorstadt, Mitte des 19. Jh. noch Viehweide nach der früheren Vorstadtgemeinde Viehweidengemeinde benannt. Bekannt ist der Platz heute durch das Volkshaus als Gewerkschaftshaus. Seit ein paar Jahren entwickelt er sich zum Standort für modernes innerstädtisches Wohnen durch die Errichtung sogenannter "Townhouses".
Schützhaus,  entstand ca. 1530, also noch vor der eigentlichen Anlage des Neumarktes um 1548. Hier wohnte der kurfürstliche Hofkapellmeister Heinrich Schütz.
Das Gebäude war eines der ersten Renaissance-Gebäude Dresdens, wurde 1730 aufgestockt und mit Mansarddach versehen. Der berühmte Erker erhielt 1730/31 seine Ausbildung mit steinerner Balustrade am Austritt. Im 19. Jh. wurde das Mansarddach abgebrochen, das Haus wiederum aufgestockt und mit einem unpassenden Satteldach versehen.

Bis 1945 hat sich der von Christoph Walter I. geschaffene und noch aus der Erbauungszeit stammende reliefverzierte Sockel des Runderkers erhalten. Teile des davon geborgernen Kinderfrieses befinden sich zurzeit an einem Wohnhaus neben dem Hotel Gewandhaus [2.]. Das in Sandstein gehauene Portal mit wuchtiger Bänderrustika und eichenlaubverziertem Sturz entstand um 1690.

Das Diakoniewerk Martinshof Rothenburg/OL baute bis 2008 das Schützhaus zusammen mit dem benachbarten Köhlerschen Haus und einem modernen Anbau als noble Seniorenresidenz wieder auf.

Schwebebahn,  cable railway built in 1891/1900 and as the oldest cable railway. It connects Loschwitz with Oberloschwitz (Rochwitz side), after 1990 and 2002 extensive repair works took place and there is a new lookout point on the roof of the station. -
Schweriner Straße eine der Hauptstraßen der Wilsdruffer Vorstadt, verbindet als Radialstraße den Postplatz mit dem Wettiner Platz und dem Bahnhof Mitte. Sie ist im wesentlichen von einer eigenwilligen Mischung von sanierten Gründerzeitgebäuden, kriegsbedingten Lückenschließungen der 1960er Jahre im "AWG-Scheunenstil", einem kirchlichen "Sonderbau" (heute Sitz des Caritasverbandes für Dresden e.V.) und einer gut angepassten Nachwendeecklösung geprägt.
Sculptures,  see special page Monuments
Seestraße,  formerly a connection from the Altmarkt to the Seetor and later to the Prager Straße and Hauptbahnhof. In 1953/54, after the war, the famous cabaret "Café Prag" was built on the west side and the east side in 1995after extensive excavation. Due to the construction of many buildings in this area the road has regained a certain urbanity which still need to be completed towards the church Kreuzkirche.
Seevorstadt see special page Seevorstadt
Seidnitz see special page Seidnitz
Seifersdorfer Tal,  see Sachsen-Lexikon Seifersdorfer Tal
Sekundogenitur vom zweitgeborenen Sohn eines Fürstenhauses begründete Nebenline, im übertragen Sinn auch für deren Sitz.

1. 1764-1770 von Friedrich August Krubsacius als Palais des Chevalier de Saxe im spätbarock-frühklassistischen Stil erbaut, der Schmuck stammt von Gottfried Knöffler. Das als Wohnsitz der zweitgeborenen Wettiner-Prinzen genutzte Gebäude im heutigen Blüherpark war von vornehmer Einfachheit und wurde 1945 vollkommen zerstört.

2. built in 1900 by Gustav Fröhlich as neo-baroque building on the Brühl Terrace and in 1963/64 rebuilt as a restaurant. Today it belongs to the complex of the Hotel Hilton.

Semperdenkmal,  is a memorial by Johannes Schilling of Gottfried Semper, one of Dresdens most influential architects of the 19th Century. It stand on the Brühl Terrace next to the stairs leading down to the square Georg-Treu-Platz.
Sempergalerie,  see Gemäldegalerie (picture gallery)
Semperoper,  the first opera building in 1838-41 by Gottfried Semper, burnt down in 1869. Gottfried Semper and his son Manfred built in 1871/78 the so called "second Semperoper on almost the same spot. The third Opera was built in 1977-84 after the second was was completely destroyed in the war.

In 1991, the Semper Opera was renamed the Sächsische Staatsoper (Saxon State Opera).

Das neue stark generalisierte Logo der Semperoper ist ebenso umstritten wie der gesamte neue Webauftritt, der an "Einfachheit" nicht mehr zu über- bzw. besser unterbieten ist. Verantwortlich dafür ist eine neue Intendantin.

The very famous building with is stylish hall, the 5-Minutes-clock, and the stairways can be visited also outside perfomances (guide). One can have a grandious view from the foyer, especially at night out to the square Theaterplatz.

Shopping,  see special page Shopping
Sieben-Bastionen-Plastik,  see Brühlsche Terrasse
Sixtinische Madonna von Raffael 1512/13 für die dem heiligen Sixtus geweihte Benediktinerkirche in Piacenze südöstlich von Mailand gemalt.
Das im Auftrag von Papst Julius II. entstandene Gemälde wurde 1753/54 für die Dresdner Sammlung erworben und ist heute das wohl bekannteste Werk der Gemäldegalerie Alter Meister.

Mindestens genauso bekannt wie die Madonna selbst sind inzwischen die beiden Engel am unteren Bildrand, die so manches Werbematerial für Dresden schmücken.

Skulpturensammlung/sculpture collection,  emphasis of the exhibition in the Albertinum is the world-well-known antiquity collection. Greek and Roman sculptures as well as vases, bronze sculptures and Terrakotten can be seen.

Condition before the renovation:
An entire hall was dedicated to the sculptures from the times of Renaissance and baroque, amongst them marble sculptures of Balthasar Permoser. Plastics of the 19th and 20th century are shown together with the paintings of the gallery "New masters" on the upper floor.

The sculpture collection was closed for reconstruction from 08/29/2005.

On 20/06/2010, the sculpture collection was re-opened.

Societätstheater,  little theatre in the Hauptstraße, built in 1779 it was first used by the Society-Organisation which existed from 1776-1832, later is was used for different purposes and the structure of the building was changed. During the reconstruction works in 1996/97 it was rebuilt as a theatre. Today it also consists of a restaurant and a little barock-garden as well as the Thomae-Pavillion in the neighbour hood.
Söbrigen see special page Söbrigen
Soldatenheim (Service club),  see .
Solitude,  housing estate, see Laubegast
Sophienkirche,  church which had two antecessor buildings, the Franciscan church, built in 1265 as a long stretching hall and the Minster, built in 1351-1357 as a two nave church hall for the "Grey brothers", the so called "Franciscan church". Parts of the medieval church were integrated. In 1421 the church was extended for the first time.

During the reformation it was renewed and sanctified in 1602 to the protestant "Sophie church". During re-contraction works in 1864 Prof. C. F. Arnold built in style of the "academicals neo-gothic" the two characteristic twin towers in a height of 66 m, which dominated the townscape around the "Zwinger" until 1934 when the towers were reshaped into simple cones.

In the Night of Bombing in 1945 the "Sophie church" burnt out (ruins see Postplatz, there photo show) and in 1946 the vaults collapsed. The ruins, which were in a condition that would have allowed reconstruction, were removed on orders of Walter Ulbricht (Chairman of the State Council of the GDR 1960-1973).

Today a major part of the church ground is occupied by the so called "Riegel" with the very popular restaurant "Busmann´s Brazil". The only thing that reminds of the once beautiful church (Bach once played in it on Dresden's first Silbermann's-organ) is a memorial stone and, on the still unimproved places, a in the ground carved compendium.

Sowjetischer Soldatenfriedhof a cemetery created for the fallen soldiers of the Russian Red Army in the Second World War. It borders the Dresdner Heide, next to the cemetery Nordfriedhof.
Spitzhaus 1622 als Weinberghaus vermutlich von Kurfürst Johann Georg I. auf dem Landsbergischem Weinberg in Wahnsdorg (heute Stadtteil von Radebeul) errichtet. Seit 1701 im Besitz der Gräfin Cosel , übereignete sie das Besitztum ihrem Gönner August dem Starken. 1749 wurde das Hohe oder Spitzhaus völlig umgebaut und dabei ein neuer Turm errichtet, es blieb bis 1889 samt Weinberg im Besitz der Wettiner. 1901 wurden die Seitenflügel angebaut, seither ist das Spitzhaus eine beliebte Ausflugsgaststätte.
Sporbitz see special page Sporbitz
St.Antonius,  1922/23 errichtete katholische Kirche für die seit 1904 selbstständige Pfarrei Löbtau. 2001/03 wurden auf dem gleichen Grundstück ein neues Pfarrzentrum und ein Kindergarten errichtet, die Kirche selbst saniert.
St.Barbarakirche die Eschdorfer Kirche entstand im 12./13. Jh. und ist seit 1346 der St. Barbara geweiht. Sie war bis zur Reformation ein Wallfahrtsort.

Umbauarbeiten in der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jhs. führten u.a. zu einem neoromanischen Turm (39 m), Orgelprospekt von Gottfried Semper und Orgelfiguren von Ernst Rietschel. Die in Dresden-Eschdorf gelegene Kirche gehört als einzige im Stadtgebiet zum Kirchenbezirk Pirna, sie beherbergt seit 1996 im ausgebauten Dachboden ein Heimatmuseum.

St.Benno-Gymnasium,  newly built, it replaces the in 1939 by the Nazi's closed former St.Benno-Gymnasium, rebuilt in 1994-96 after plans by the Günter Behnisch office. The building is seperated by a large blue painted wall towards the busy street Günzstraße. The side facing an estate has got large window fronts. The re-creation area of the schools lies on this quiet side of the building. The previously disputed school is one of the rare existing examples of the New architecture in Dresden. The pupils are to 50% catholic, 35% evangelical and the remaining percentage is without confession.
St.Franziskus Xaverius Kirche,  St.Franziscus Xaverius church, built in 1855 in the lombardic architectural style of the 12th century, established church for the catholic congregation of the New Town, which was growing rapidly.

The building, situated on the street Hauptstraße was destroyed in 1945, the ruins were blown up in 1957. The congregation uses today St.Martin, the catholic part of the church Garnisionskirche ( ).

St.Joseph-Stift (monastery, hospital),  the in 1895 in Johannstadt-South founded catholic hospital was extended several times by cultivations. Although in 1945 to large parts destroyed, the medical support could be taken up again quickly in the remaining areas. After reconstruction and after adding several attractive extension buildings the St.Joseph monastery has today 234 beds.
St.Pauli-Friedhof am nördlichen Ende der Hechtstraße gelegener Friedhof der St.Pauli-Kirchgemeinde. Nachdem der Innere Neustädter Friedhof für die stark angewachsene Bevölkerung der Dresdner Neustadt zu klein geworden wurde, legte man am Fuße der Hellerberge einen neuen an. 1862 wurde dieser zunächst als Neuer bzw. Äußerer Neustädter Friedhof übergeben. 1910/11 errichteten Schilling & Gräbner eine Feierhalle, die eine Orgel der Firma Jehmlich bekam. Auf dem Friedhof befidnen sich mehrere Gedenkstätten, die jüngste entstand 1999 für die Opfer von Krieg und Gewaltherrschaft.
St.Pauli-Kirche,  according to plans by Christian Schramm built neogothic church in the quarter Hechtviertel with 1000 seats and a tower hight of 78 m. In 1891 dedicated and burnt out in 1945. The congregation performed some building work on the church ruins in 1968 to stabilize the building. After the Change the inner room of the church was re-built as a open air theatre with approx 400 seats. The society "Theaterruine St.Pauli e.V." () organises during the summer theatre and music performances since 1999.

Am 23.08.2005 lösten sich mehrere Meter eines Gesimses in 42 m Höhe und stürzten herab, der Spielbetrieb musste sofort eingestellt werden. Nach erfolgter Sanierung wurde die Theaterruine am 03.06.2006 wiedereröffnet.

St.Petersburger Straße,  the predecessor of the southern part of the street St. Petersburger Straße was built in 1858. The after the sovereign Kurfürst Christian I. Christianstraße named part went from the street Sidonienstraße up north to the street Ferdinandstraße. The part of the road which was meant to release some pressure from the Prager Straße was thought of already in the first third of the 20th century but was realised only in 1965/71 as so called North-South Connection. The part facing the train station Hauptbahnhof - Elbe was called Leningrader Straße. It created a direct connection to the in 1971 rebuilt bridge Carolabrücke (formerly called Dr.-Rudolf-Friedrichs-Brücke). The original buildings in this area were destroyed during the Dresden-bombing in 1945. Today the Western part belongs to the street/shopping mile called Prager Straße and Ringstraße and on the Eastern end are blocks of Student flats (built in 1960-63) which were recently refurbished. The project to refurbish the blocks was lead by a group of Architects of the office Ulf Zimmermann and received the awards "Bauherrenpreis 2001" for its good value and low costs and the "Erlwein-Preis der Stadt Dresden".
St.Petrikirche 1888/1890 von Julius Zeißig errichteter neogotischer Backsteinbau mit 68 m hohem, schlankem Turm, 1945 schwer beschädigt und 1950/55 wiederaufgebaut. Dabei wurde das Innere in vorbildlicher Weise neu gestaltet.
Staatliche Kunstsammlungen (State Art Collections)  ,
see special page Museums
Staatliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Meissen GmbH
see Porzellan-Manufaktur Meissen
Staatsarchiv,  was built in 1911-15 by Ottomar Reichelt and Heinrich Koch as Hauptstaatsarchiv (Main archive) and is one of the early Steel-concrete constructions.
Staatskanzlei the in 1900-1904 by Edmund Waldow and Heinrich Tscharmann erected building was previously used as the Ministry of Justice, Home Office, Ministry of Culture and Department of Public education. The very large complex combines barock style elements with Art Nouveau and has a harmonic architectural connection to the Ministry of Finance building and the Japanischem Palais.

The inside is dominated by a large and generously built hall with a vitreous stair case. On top of the middle tower is a crown.

The regional administration called "Rat des Bezirkes" Dresden was located here from 1952 until 1990 and today it is back to its old use as accomodation of the ministries.

Staatsoper,  see Semperoper
Staatsoperette,  opened in 1947 in a restaurant/inn in Leuben that was built in 1899 and used as ball room and cinema. It is Germany's only operetta with its own ensemle and belongs to one of the most influencial stages of the music theatre in the German speaking world. Lately there have been talks to close the operetta in Mid 2003 because of the strained financial situation of the City of Dresden. However that was denied by the City Council after strong protests of the Dresden citizen ship.

Currently there are plans of the muncipality and some investors for a new building or a relocation into the city centre. Below you can find some proposed new locations for the operetta within the centre or greater centre of Dresden.

Proposed locations for the new operetta building:

On the 13/04/2003 a surprising decision was made with regards of the new location:

Nach Pressemeldungen vom Mai 2004 erscheint ein Neubau am Wiener Platz mit über 935 Plätzen (statt bisher 600) realistisch.

Oktober 2007 haben sich auch diese Pläne zerschlagen, angeblich hat sich trotz intensiver Suche kein Investor gefunden.

5 Jahre nach einer in der DNN veröffentlichten Liste möglicher Standorte für die Staatsoperette präsentiert "die Stadt" in der SZ eine neue Liste mit immerhin insgesamt 7 meist bekannten Standorten, davon 4 Favoriten.

Diskutiert werden offenbar auch noch

Der Stadtrat stimmte Anfang Oktober 2008 dem Finanzierungskonzept für die Entwicklung des Areals Kraftwerk Mitte als Standort für die Staatsoperette und das Theater Junge Generation zu.

Januar 2010 deutet sich nach Befürchtungen der SPD und entsprechenden Berichten der Sächsischen Zeitung aufgrund der Wirtschaftslage und der offensichtlichen Unfähigkeit der Stadtverwaltung ein Scheitern der ehrgeizigen Pläne an.

09/2010 schwenkt die "Koalition" aus CDU und FDP wieder auf den Standort Wiener Platz um, des TJG soll am bisherigen Standort saniert werden.
Der entsprechender Vorschlag von Helma Orosz wurde wenig später zumindest im Kulturausschuss abgelehnt.

Staatsschauspiel,  see Schauspielhaus (theatre)
Stadtarchiv im Gelände der Heeresbäckerei
Stadtbus,  see Bus lines
Stadthaus,  built in 1922/23 by Ludwig Wirth as an extension to the City Council building and accomodates besides the minor exchange several important offices of the City of Dresden.
Stadtmuseum,  see Landhaus

Seit Ende 2005 zeigt das Museum eine Sonderausstellung zur Frauenkirche, ab Herbst 2006 die neugestaltete stadtgeschichtliche Sammlung.

Stadtrat (town council), The town council is the selected agency of the Dresden citizens. Chairman of the town councillor is after the Saxonian "Gemeindeordnung" (municipal code) the mayors.

The town council specifies the principles for the administration of the state capital Dresden and decides on all affairs of the state capital Dresden, as far as the mayor is not responsible by strength of the law or the town council transfers certain affairs.

City Council election 07.06.2009

Wie in der Wahlperiode zuvor wurde eine bürgerliche ebenso wie eine "linke" Mehrheit verfehlt. Die Wahlbeteiligung lag mit 49 % wieder sehr niedrig. Die Legislaturperiode des neuen Stadtrates beginnt am 13.08.2009 mit seiner ersten Zusammenkunft.

Stadtschloss,  see Residenzschloss (Royal Palace)
Stadtsparkasse,  built by Hans Erlwein in 1910-14 as a town house, later tranformed into a savings bank. After the reconstruction in 1994/97 it looked rather like a new building adapting in style to the added new and is now Head quarter of the Stadtsparkasse (since 2004: Ostsächsische Sparkasse Dresden).

see also Forum Am Altmarkt

Stadtteile

1. im allgemeinen Sprachgebrauch im Innenstadtbereich (Gemarkungen Altstadt I, Altstadt II, Neustadt und Friedrichstadt) die historischen Vorstädte, wie sie sich in der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jh. bezüglich Abgrenzung und Namen herausgebildet haben, im restlichen Stadtgebiet i.d.R. die Gemarkungen, die aus Dörfern hervorgegangen sind und direkt oder indirekt nach Dresden eingemeindet wurden.

2. die Statistischen Stadtteile zur Untergliederung der Ortsämter und Ortschaften für statistische und Verwaltungszwecke

3. umgangssprachlich bzw. historisch gibt es weitere Orts- bzw. Siedlungsnamen, die zum Teil nicht mehr oder in keinem offiziellen Zusammenhang mehr verwendet werden. Einige dieser Namen sind gänzlich aus dem Bewusstsein verschwunden.

Stadtverwaltung
The mayor (Oberbürgermeister or Oberbürgermeisterin) is a chairman of the town councillor and director/conductor of the city administration.

The City Council is the elected representative of the citizenry.

Administrative arrangement a) devided by tasks into 8 city departments :

b) territorial in 19 administrative districts (10 Ortsämter and 9 Ortschaften), there are also local administrative offices.

Besides the new city hall the City Administration also uses the Technische Rathaus (technical City Hall in the street Hamburger Straße), the "Sozialrathaus" (social City Hall in the street Riesaer Straße), the Kulturrathaus (culture City Hall in the street Königstraße) and several other buildings for example the one in the street Junghansstraße (next to the tower Ernemannturm).

Stadtwappen, City arms the right side of the spade-shaped shild shows an upclaiming lion with split tassle and left the two poles of Landsberg.

To coats of arms of the neighboring places see special side of the respective city or municipality.

Stadtzentrum 1. i.w.S. wird der Bereich innerhalb des 26er-Ringes als Stadtzentrum definiert,

2. i.e.S zusammenfassend die Innere Altstadt, die Innere Neustadt und das Gebiet um die Prager Straße in der Seevorstadt.

3. offizielle Kategorie aus dem Zentrenkonzept der Landeshauptstadt bezüglich der Konzentration von Handel, Dienstleistungen, Kultur- und Sozialeinrichtungen. Neben dem Stadtzentrum, 11 Ortsteilzentren (OTZ) und 24 Wohnnahen Zentren (WZ) werden Komplexe Einzelhandelsstandorte meist auf der sogenannten "grünen Wiese" verzeichnet.

Stallhof zum Komplex des Residensschlosses gehörender Hof zwischen Johanneum und Langer Gang. Im Mittelalter fanden hier ritterliche Spiele und Reitturniere statt, wovon eine Pferdeschwemme und eine Ringelstechbahn mit zwei Bronzesäulen aus dem Jahre 1601 zeugen.

Heute ist der Stallhof reizvolle Kulisse für Mittelalterspektakel und historischen Weihnachtsmarkt.

Standseilbahn (cable railways),  built in 1895 it connects Loschwitz with Oberloschwitz (Weißer Hirsch) and is one of Europe's oldest mountain railways with 2 tunnels and one bridge. Near the station the very famous restaurant Luisenhof, "Dresden's Balcony". -
Stauffenbergallee,  important main road and part of the outside road ring around Dresden and is currently enlarged as access road to the bridge Waldschlößchenbrücke. Significant are the bridge across the deep valley called Prießnitztal, the barracks church and the former baracks, today used as Army Museum, Army school, regional council and the MDR-broadcasting centre.
Städtische Galerie Dresden die Juni 2002 gegründete Institution wurde am 02.07.2005 im Landhaus eröffnet.
Ihr stehen in der ersten Etage ca. 800 m² Ausstellungsfläche
für eine ständige Präsentation regionaler Kunst sowie für Wechselausstellungen zur Verfügung.

Die Galerie verwaltet einen Bestand von 1.700 Gemälden, 800 Skulpturen und 20.000 Arbeiten auf Papier, vorwiegend aus dem 19. und 20. Jh.

Städtischer Vieh- und Schlachthof der frühere Schlachthof ist ein unter Denkmalschutz stehendes Gebäudeensemble im Großen Ostragehege. Die Anlage wurde 1905/10 nach Plänen von Stadtbaurat Hans Erlwein im Sitl der Reformbaukunst errichtet, sie bestand aus insgesamt 68 einzelnen Gebäuden, darunter der markante Schlachthofturm.

1995 wurde der Schlachtbetrieb stillgelegt. Der bedeutendste Nachnutzer ist die Messe Dresden. Auch das Sportgymansium befindet sich auf dem Gelände. In den teils noch desolaten Hallen westlich der Messe findet jährlich die OSTRLE, eine Ausstellung für zeitgenössische Kunst, statt.

Ständehaus (assembly house),  built in 1901/07 by Paul Wallot as Saxonian Parliament. Destroyed in 1945 and partially rebuilt and used as Photograph collection and as mineralogic museum. The hipped roof was restored in the mid 1990's.
Today the "house of the estates" is seat of the higher regional court.
Steigenberger Hotel de Saxe,  see Hotel de Saxe
Steinbach,  see special page Ortschaft Gompitz
Sternhäuser (star shaped buildings) ,  im Zusammenhang mit der Großsiedlung Prohlis Ende der 1970er Jahre errichteter Gebäudekomplex aus fünf 10-geschossigen Plattenbauten des Typs IW 67, der exakt gesehen bereits auf dem Gebiet der Gemarkung Niedersedlitz liegt. Der Name stammt von der Form der Draufsicht der 5 Gebäude, die jeweils aus 3 Flügeln sternförmig zusammengesetzt sind.

2005 wurde das östlichste der Sternhäuser wegen des in Dresden hohen Wohnungsleerstandes abgerissen, 2007/2008 sollen zwei weitere folgen. Die Zukunft der beiden letzten "Sterne" ist noch ungewiss.

Sternplatz,  one of the main squares in the suburbs called Wilsdruffer Vorstadt and built in 1873 on the grounds of the pub "Zum Goldenen Stern" (The Golden Star). From 1966 until 1990 the place was called Hans-Beimler-Platz after a wellknown Anti-fachist. Also on the place is the significant building of the AOK a health insurance () sowie das Kabarett Herkuleskeule. ()
Stetzsch see special page Stetzsch
Straßburger Platz,  in 1898 called Stübelplatz, in 1951 named Fucikplatz and after 1991 re-named to Straßburger Platz. In 1894-96 the exhibition halls called Ausstellungshallen and later the Kugelhaus were built here and in East German times fun fairs, Christmas markets and exhibitions were held on the square. Today one can find the vitreous factory Gläserne Manufaktur, which is a car producing company and belongs to Volkswagen on the square, which is also one of the main junctions for tram and other traffic and the starting point of the park train, called Parkeisenbahn.

The part lying to the place of the houses was demolished in late 2004/early 2005, renovated the back of a so-called STRASBOURG very colorful.

On the then freed areas a green area will be developed.

Straßenbahn zum vollständigen Straßenbahnnetzplan
 zum Straßenbahnnetz im Stadtplan von www.dresden.de
Straßenbahnmuseum Dresden von einem 1992 gegründeten Verein mit Unterstützung der Dresdner Verkehrsbetriebe (DVB AG) betriebenes Museum zum Dresdner Nahverkehr. Zu besonderen Anlässen sind die historischen Straßenbahnen auf verschiedenen Strecken als Sonderfahrten im Einsatz.
Strehlen see special page Strehlen
Striesen see special page Striesen
Striezelmarkt since 1434 it is the eldest Christmas Market in Germany and is being held on the square Altmarkt Additional Christmas markets are on the Prager Straße, Hauptstraße, Münzgasse and the stables called Stallhof. Before 1945 the Striezel Market was mainly held on the Hauptstraße and the "Stallhof", after 1945 on the square, Theaterplatz and the City Hall on the street Stauffenbergallee, the lane called Weiße Gasse and the Straßburger Platz) before it returned to the Altmarkt.

Wegen des Baus der Tiefgarage unter dem Altmarkt fand der Striezelmarkt 2007 auf dem Ferdinandplatz () statt, seit 2008 ist er wieder auf dem Altmarkt () zu finden, seit 2009 in neuer Gestaltung.

Stübelallee,  border line on theNorth side of the park Großer Garten, The botanic garden called Botanischer Garten and the vitreous factory Gläserne Manufaktur and the so called Mutschmann-Mansion can be found here (Mutschmann was in the national socialism time "Gauleiter" from Saxony).
Studentenwohnheime,  Dresden has a fair amount of buildings, providing student accommodation which are being looked after by the Student union. The best known ones are in the street called Fritz-Löffler-Straße, 2 smaller blocks near the street called Budapester and another 3 on the St.Petersburger Straße. The latter awardwinning for its reconstruction. There is another complex of blocks on the Zellescher Weg, consiting of 6 buildings, each with 17 floors. It is currently in the process of comlete reconstruction and to change its look.
Studentenwohnheim Fritz-Löffler-Straße 1953-55 von Wolfgang Rauda an der damaligen Reichsstraße, der späteren Juri-Gagarain- und heutigen Fritz-Löffler-Straße im Stile der "nationalen Tradition" errichtet. In den 1960er Jahren wurde das Ensemble um einen damals sehr modernen Zweckbau erweitert, der im Gegensatz zum Altbau inzwischen saniert wurde.
Studentenwohnheim Güntzstraße, "Güntz-Palast",  erbaut 1953-55 von Wolfgang Rauda. Das Studentenwohnheim mit dem bekannten "Güntzklub" (andere Schreibweise: Güntzclub) wurde bis 1999 bewirtschaftet, danach begann der Verfall. Ab 2007 ist die denkmalgerechte Sanierung mit künftig 260 Apartements vorgesehen. In diese wird der Brunnen mit der Skulptur "Flugwillen des Menschen" von Max Lachnit und das Sandsteinrelief von Reinhold Langer einbezogen.
Südvorstadt see special page Südvorstadt
Synagogue,  the first synagogue was built in 1838/40 after plans of Gottfried Sempers near the former gondola harbour. The morish interior was designed by Semper as well.

In the night from the 9th to the 10th of November 1938, the so-called "Night of broken glass" (Kristallnacht) the synagogue was burnt down by the Nazi's and later demolished. A stele in form of a Seven-armed flambeaux was later erected in remberance. In 1950 a little makeshift synagogue was built on the New Jewish Cemetery in the Johannstadt district.

On the 9th of November 2001, exactly 3 years after the first ground-breaking ceremony the new synagogue was antlered. It was built after plans of the architect office "Wandel, Hoefer und Lorchaus Saarbrücken" in co-operation with Nikolaus Hirsch of Frankfurt am Main. Next to the synagoge is a community centre which has 250 seats and is used for services and reunions.

The two buildings in form of 24m high towers are made of sandstone and were built on the almost exact location of the old Semper building. It gave the Jews of Dresden whose number has tripled between 1990 and 1995 a dignified place of worship. The only original part of the synagogue is the David-Star, which could be rescued, which is now displayed in the entrance area of the new building. The "body" of the building is twisted upwards to solve the discrepancy between the current ground plan and the religious requirement for the building to face Jerusalem in the East.

In the summer of 2002 the synagogue was awarded the price of "Europe's best building" at the XXI. Architecture-World Congress.

Stele in remembrance of the progrom night and the tora-shrine