Lahmann's Sanatorium,  (former world famous spa in the district Weißer Hirsch "for the wholesome Air- Light and Water therapy", after 1945 military hospital of the Red Army, afterwards complete disrepair. It was thought of using the building as a Nursing home or sheltered housing but failed on the financing and the inherited military burden.)

ehemaliges und seinerzeit weltbekanntes Kurbad im Stadtteil Weißer Hirsch "für das gesamte Luft-, Licht- und Wasserheilverfahren".

1888 eröffnete Lahmann sein "Physiatrisches Sanatorium" in zunächst bescheidenem Rahmen, kaufte aber bald weitere Villen hinzu und baute an, bis der gesamte Komplex seine endgültige Größe erreichte. Nach dem 1. Weltkrieg wurde die Anstalt als "Dr. Lahmanns Sanatorium Weißer Hirsch Aktiengesellschaft in Dresden" betrieben und ab 1939 als Lazarett genutzt. Nach Kriegsende kurz "Stadtkrankenhaus Weißer Hirsch", diente es von 1946 bis 1992 der Roten Armee als Militärkrankenhaus, anschließend restlicher Verfall.

Die Nutzung als Altersheim bzw. Anlage für altersgerechtes Wohnen waren angedacht, scheiterten jedoch an der Finanzierung und den militärischen Altlasten des Geländes.

Landesbühnen Sachsen [Stadt Radebeul],  hervorgegangen aus der Künstlerspielgemeinschaft Dresden-West, die August 1945 im Gasthof Gittersee ihr erstes Opernkonzert veranstaltete. Noch im gleichen Jahr wurde das Ensemble in "Volksoper Dresden" umbenannt. 1949 übernahm es -nach einigen nachkriegsbedingten Wirren- der Landesverband der Volksbühne als "Landesoper Sachsen".

1950 erfolgte der Umzug nach Radebeul in den umgebauten Gasthof "Zur Weintraube". Durch den Zusammenschluss von Landesoper und Landesschauspiel bekam das Haus den noch heute gültigen Namen. Ab 1952 gehörte für einige Jahre auch das Staatliche Puppentheater dazu. In den 1950er Jahre entwickelten sich die Landesbühnen zum größten Reisetheater der DDR, bis zu 86 sog. Abstecherbühnen wurden bespielt.

Heute sind die Landesbühnen das zweitgrößte Reisetheater Deutschlands und gastieren immer noch in rund einem Dutzend anderen Orten. Sie veranstalten Konzerte im Dresdner Zwinger und spielen seit 1950 auf der Felsenbühne Rathen.

Das Stammhaus in Radebeul wurde in den letzten Jahren umfassend modernisiert.

Landesgymnasium für Musik,  see Villa Rothermund
Landeskirchenamt,  see Russische Gesandtschaft
Landesschule (National school/County school),  The in 1925-27 in Klotzsche by Heinrich Tessenow and Oskar Kramer in styles of the Neoklassizismus bulit building complex accommodated the Saxonian national school, which educated its pupils based on the humanitarian civil education ideals from 1926-34. In the Nazi period as "nationalpolitical educational establishment" abused, after the end of WWII the buildings served the Soviet army. After their departure the former national school fell into a desolated state and was reconstructed and re-opened 2001 as an Academy for Industrial Safety and Health Protection.
Landgericht (Regional court),  the current regional court is located in the building of the former district court at the Sachsenallee, In the GDR the district and the local court Dresden operated here. Originally built as a 4-wing complex in 1888-92 by Arwed Roßbach and was rebuilt after the war destruction without the back wing.

The earlier regional and district court at square Münchner Platz wurde 1902-07 von Oskar Kramer errichtet und 1958/64 zu Lehr- und Forschungsgebäuden der TU als Georg-Schumann-Bau umgebaut. Im Hof befindet sich die Gedenkstätte für die Opfer der Diktaturen.

Landhaus,  built in 1970-76 by Friedrich August Krubsacius in baroque style as a meeting place for the Saxonian Parliament. What is todays front to the street Wilsdruffer Straße faced originaly the garden side, the main entrace was on the North side to the street Landhausstraße. This changed with the break through of the street König-Johann-Straße since 1885. Since the destruction in the 2nd World War the rebuilt took place in as a Town Museum. It is currently closed due to reconstruction works during which the main entrace is going to be on the North side again.

Escape stairs

Am Ostgiebel des Landhauses entsteht gegenwärtig eine neue Fluchttreppe nach einem Entwurf von Rolf Klinkerbusch. Im Abstand von 6 m wird eine offene Stahlkonstruktion aufgestellt, die vom 1. bis zum 3. Obergeschoss über Brücken an die Gebäudefassade angeschlossen ist. ()

Am 02.07.2005 wurde im Landhaus die Städtische Galerie eröffnet, im Herbst 2006 die neugestaltete stadtgeschichtliche Sammlung.

Landtag,  the new Saxonian parliament was designed in 1991-94 by Peter Kulka entworfen. It consists of the new built plenar hall and the reconstructed building of the former Federal State Finance Department. This part of the building emerged in the style of the New objectiveness built in 1928-31 by Barthold and Tiede and accommodated in 1953-89 the SED-district direction and after the change parts of the Middle German Broadcast (MDR). On the roof of the new building is a public restaurant located.
Landtag/Parliament buildings,  see
Landhaus (1776-1907 domicile of the parliament)
Ständehaus (1907-1933 seat of the parliament)
Soldatenheim [today Goethe-Institut] (1946-52)
Dreikönigskirche (1991-93)
Landtag (today's seat of the Saxonian parliament)
Langebrück see special page Ortschaft Langebrueck
Langer Gang,  name for the connection building between the Georgenbau and stable yard in Renaissance style. On the North side the famous wall painting called "Fürstenzug". The "Long alley way" was built in 1586-88 after plans of G.M. Nosseni, towards the court yard it has 22 open round arch arcades with animal's heads and crests above. Especially during Christmas time the stable yard is very attractive because of its little historic Chistmas Market.
Lapidarium, von lat. lapis = Stein Bezeichnung für eine Sammlung von Steinwerken, etwa Skulpturen, Meilensteine, Grabsteine usw.
Das Dresdner Lapidarium befindet sich in der Ruine der 1945 zerstörten Zionskirche in der Südvorstadt. Es bewahrt vor allem Fundstücke von im Zweiten Weltkrieg zerstörten Gebäuden bzw. von später aberissenen Ruinen wie Fassadenteile, Skulpturen und Schmuckelemente auf.
Laubegast see special page Laubegast
Lausa/Friedersdorf see special page Ortschaft Weixdorf
Leipziger Straße rechtelbige Ausfallstraße Richtung Radebeul und Meißen, bemerkenswert im vorderen Teil die Kultureinrichtung "Alter Schlachthof" für Popkonzerte, kleine Messen usw. und das Ballhaus Watzke in Mickten. Belebte Einkaufsabschnitte findet man im Bereich der Oschatzer Straße, beim Elbe-Center und im Bereich Alttrachau.
Leipziger Vorstadt see special page Leipziger Vorstadt
Lennéstraße westliche Begrenzung des Großen Gartens, teilt im Südabschnitte die Bürgerwiese, deren kleiner östlicher Teil heute landläufig dem Großen Garten zugerechnet wird. An der Straße liegen das Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion, das Georg-Arnold-Bad, der Biergarten Torwirtschaft und die Gläseren Manufaktur.

Die simple Straßenkreuzung am Südende der Lennéstraße heißt Lennéplatz.

Leonhardi-Museum originally used as a mill, built in the former suburbs of Loschwitz and bought in 1879 by the painter and factory owner Eduard Leonhardi, when still call the das Hentschel-Mill. He converted it into an exibition and Atelier bulding. His aim was initially to create a space for young and ambitious artists but it lasted for only a few years.

From 1885 on Leonhardi used the empty building and re-opened it as landscape museum called "Landschaftsmuseum Eduard Leonhardi". Today one can find a galerie of contemporary art.

Leubnitzer Kirche entstand vermutlich um 1150 als eine der schönsten und interessantesten Dorfkirchen im Stadtgebiet.

Turm, Kirchenschiff und Sakristei stammen aus der ersten Hälfte des 15. Jh., der Chor von 1511. Seit 1539 evangelisch, erfolgte 1720/21 ein erneuter Umbau. 1874 fiel der markante Staffelgiebel am Chor einer weiteren Erneuerung der Kirche zum Opfer.

Um die Kirche befindet sich ein sehenswerter Friedhof.

Leutewitz see special page Leutewitz
Lincke'sches Bad 1764 von Christian Gottlob Reuß an der Mündung der Prießnitz errichtet. Seit 1776 existierte hier ein Sommertheater, 1858 wurde das Lincke'sche Bad abgerissen.

Mindestens bis in die 1920er Jahre befand sich auf dem Gelände des Linckschen Bades in «aussichtsreicher Lage (nach der Elbe zu) ein Restaurationsgarten» gleichen Namens.

Lingnerallee,  unimproved road from the park Großer Garten towards the City centre, from an traffic engineering point rather insignificant and usually used as parking. Since the change every Friday Dresden's largest market day takes place here, the Saxonian or Forum Market, derived from the civil rights movements group "New Forum".
Lingnerschloß,  is a mansion and one of the 3 Albrechtsschlösser. It is also called Villa Stockhausen and was originally built by Adolph Lohse in 1850-53 for the chamberlain of Prince Albrecht, Freiherr von Stockhausen

In 1906 the founder of the museum called "Hygienemuseums" and producer of the well-known mouth wash "Odol" Karl August Lingner took ownership of the chateau. After Ligners death in 1916 the building became property of the Town and was used in east German times as "Club of Intelligence" but since the change it is being neglected and slowly degenerating. A project to include the castle in the Bio-Parc project of the Klaus-Tschira-trust failed in 2002.

Unmittelbar nach dem Scheitern des BioParc-Projekts gründeten kulturell interessierte Dresdner Bürger auf Initiative des Dresdner Mittelstandsunternehmens "VON ARDENNE Anlagentechnik GmbH" den gemeinnützigen Förderverein LINGNERSCHLOSS e.V. ( zur Erhaltung dieses bedeutenden Baudenkmals. Inzwischen wurde mit der Sanierung begonnen, November 2005 gab es Richtfest beim Dachstuhl des Ost-Pavillons. Im angrenzenden Ostflügel soll nach Vorstellungen des Planungsbüros Weise & Treuner das wohl schönste Café Dresdens entstehen. Seither wurden die Türme und weitere Gebäudeteile saniert.

Im Schloss befand sich bis 2009 das Dresdner Welterbezentrum (), auf der elbseitigen Terrasse wird eine Gartenwirtschaft betrieben.

Lingnervilla Leubnitzer Straße, 30, 1880 nach Plänen von Max Gutmann errichtete Villa, 1900 erfolgte ein Saalanbau durch Wilhelm Kreis.
Lipsiusbau,  siehe Kunstakademie
Lockwitz siehe Sondertafel Lockwitz
Lockwitzgrund, Lockwitztal,  this valley connects Lockwitz with Kreischa and is together with the adjacent slopes a popular recreation area with several inns and restaurants. ()

From 1906 to 1977 operated a multi-lane tram line through the valley a meterspurige streetcar, the "Lockwitztalbahn". At present a gigantic valley bridge of the new motorway A17 is in the building.

Since 2005, a gigantic viaduct crosses the valley of the new motorway A17.

The brook Lockwitzbach, flowing through the ground rises in the proximity of Reinhardtsgrimma and flows between Laubegast and Kleinzschachwitz into the river Elbe.

Loschwitz see special page Loschwitz
Loschwitzer Brücke,  see bridge Blaues Wunder
Loschwitzer Friedhof,  cemetery, well worth seeing with many historical graves, so of August Kotzsch (photographer),
Augusts Richter (wife of the painter Ludwig Richter), Otto Griebel (painters) and dozens other well-known artists, master builder and craftsmen.
Loschwitzer Kirche,  baroque church in the district of Loschwitz, built in 1705 08 by George Bähr and Johann Christian Fehre d.Ä. in form of an octagonal central building and basically the antecessor of the church Frauenkirche. The organ was built in only in 1733, due to a shortage of money.

In 1898/99 the church was renewed. The interior of the church was completely transformed. In 1945 the building burned out completely, only in 1991 with the first Elbhangfest a symbolic foundation-stone to the reconstruction could be set. In 1994 the consecration of the church to place.

further photos of church and quarter Loschwitz see

Seit 2002 besitzt die Kirche wieder einen Altar. Anstelle des 1945 zerstörten von Bähr wurde der von Nosseni entworfene Altar aus der 1945/63 vernichteten Sophienkirche nach umfangreicher Restaurierung hier aufgestellt.

Louisenstraße,  which is one of the main roads and Kneipenviertel (lots of bars and pubs!) of the Outer New town, many street and scene cafés in all shapes and forms, in one of the back yard in the reconstructed North Bath.
Löbtau see special page Löbtau
Löbtau-Passage Arbeitsname eines neuen Einkaufzentrums auf dem Gelände des früheren Drei-Kaiser-Hofes. Das 3-geschossige Gebäude soll Frühjahr 2007 bis 2008 an der Ecke Kesselsdorfer Straße/Tharandter Straße errichtet werden, die Verkaufseinrichtungen befinden sich ausschließlich im Erdgeschoss und sollen sowohl straßenseitig wie auch durch eine Passage erschlossen werden. Darüber entstehen 2 Parkdecks mit 300 Plätzen.
Löbtauer Brücke (fly-over),  bridge construction and part of a fly-over included in the so called West tangent, but only partially devoloped according to its requirements. It was planned since the GDR times but realisation only started in the 1990's.
Lößnitz [County Meißen],  landscape at the northern edge of the Elb valley within the range of Radebeul and Coswig. The Loessnitz is well-known as part of the northern Vine area of Europe, which extends over Meißen to Diesbar-Seußlitz and has its origins in the year 919. Underneath the mountainside Nieder- and Oberlößnitz (districts of Radebeul) is, on the high surface, separated by the Lößnitzgrund are the destricts Lindenau and Wahnsdorf. The slope limits the Syenithighland of the Moritzburg lake landscape to the Elbe valley.

The Wine museum Castle Hößnitz in the district Oberlößnitz as well as the narrow-gauge railway, called Lößnitzdackel was named after the area.

Lößnitztalbahn [County Meißen],  operates since 1884 under steam on a track width of 750 mm regularly between Radebeul-Ost (rapid-transit railway connection line S1) over Moritzburg to Radeburg. The so called track "Lößnitzdackel", since the 21st of June 2004 in the possession of the "BVO Bahn GmbH", leads past animal enclosures, romantic ponds and "Saxonian small crests".

At the transfer station Weißes Roß the rails (750 mm) in same level crosses the tramway (1450 mm, line 4).

Löwenapotheke 1709 durch J. Ch. Fehre d. Ä. errichtetes Gebäude am Altmarkt an der Ecke zur damaligen Wilsdruffer Gasse, wurde 1913 von Hans Erlwein im Zusammenhang mit der Straßenverbreiterung der Wilsdruffer Straße unter Einbeziehung eines schmalen Nachbargebäudes vollkommen neu erbaut.

1945 zerstört, befindet sich heute auf dem Grundstück der Kopfbau der Altmarktneubebauung von 1953/54 (Howa- bzw. Centrum-Warenhaus). Eine neue Löwenapotheke gibt es seit den 1960er Jahren wenige 100 m weiter auf der östlichen Wilsdruffer Straße.

Luga,  summary term for the two districts Großluga and Kleinluga.
Luisenhof,  "Dresden's Balcony" popular trip restaurant, in 1894/96 after plans of the architect Reuter in Oberloschwitz established and mainly in the 1920's several times converted. Ab 1949 Restaurant der neugegründeten staatlichen Handelsorganisation (HO), ist das Haus von 1956-90 im Besitz der Stadt.
In 1997/99 a total reorganization took place, whereby 15 free-hold flats were built. In 1999 the reopening of the restaurant, closed since 1992, took place.

From the Luisenhof, which carries also the name balcony of Dresden, one has a outstanding view into the entire Elbe valley and in particular towards city centre.

Lukas area,  modern residential complex in the southern suburb Südvorstadt-Ost a revitalised former fallow land next to the town centre. The complex consisting of 39 terraced houses in a park-similar plant as well as 4 town houses with shops in the ground floors designed and established by Mueller Reimann architects in 2001/04. The Lukas area is characterised by a peaceful living idyl in direct proximity to the city centre.
Lukaskirche,  church built in 1892 by Georg Weidenbach for the since 1889 independent congregation of the same name, built in (Neo-)renaissance style. The church was destroyed in 1945 and re-built in a more simple style. The tower top, which remains missing since 1945 might be re-built.

The inside of the church is of modern style with a special insulation. That was done to create a special acoustic and many famous records were recorded in this church (Guettler's Trompet concerts and so on).

Lustgarten, (pleasure garden)  unter diesem Namen beleben vorübergehend ein Labyrinth-Kräutergarten, ein Biergarten, zwei Freiluft-Schachspiele und etliche spaßige Bänke (leider nur) den nördlichen Teil der Brachfläche zwischen Schreiber- und Pfarrgasse am Altmarktes.
Lutherdenkmal,  memorial for Martin Luther in front of the church Frauenkirche, built from Ernst Rietschel and Adolf von Donnhof. It felt over in 1945 but was soon after erected again. During the after war times and now the reconstruction works the statue has resisted all damage so far, thanks to a protective fence surrounding it.

Am 01.09.2004 wurde das Denkmal Martin Luthers frisch saniert an historischer Stelle vor der nunmehr fertiggestellten Frauenkirche wieder aufgestellt.