Fabrice Mausoleum,   das von Constantin Lipsius 1891 geschaffene Denkmal befindet sich in der Albertstadt an der Stauffenbergallee, Ecke Marienallee. In ihm ruhte General Georg Friedrich Graf von Fabrice, Gründer der Albertstadt und 1866-1891 sächsischer Kriegsminister. Zum Mausoleum gehörte ursprünglich ein von Johannes Schilling geschaffenes Bronzestandbild, welches im 2. Weltkrieg eingeschmolzen wurde.
Fähren,  siehe Elbfähren
Fährgarten Johannstadt bei den Dresdnern äußerst beliebter Biergarten (Sommerwirtschaft) an der Elbfähre zwischen Johannstadt und Äußere Neustadt.
Bei Hochwasser ist diese Wirtschaft regelmäßig überflutet.
Fama golden figurine created by Robert Henze and placed on the roof top of the Academy of Art, so called "lemon squeezer". In some sources the sculpture is also called Nike.
Fasanenschlößchen (pheasant's castle) [Village of Moritzburg],  built in 1769-82 by Johann Daniel Schade and Gottlob Hauptmann, it was the centre of a so called "pheasant plan" after suggestion of Duke Marcolini. The square building has got a side length of only 13,5 m. Glas doors, a pilaster strip arrange the four show sides. The roof is a bonnet like copper roof in "chinese style" which used to be very fashionable.

Not far from the "pheasant's castle" was the pub called "Kurfürstliche Waldschänke" built in 1780 as the gamekeeper's house during battue's, today is houses a famous inn. In connection to the "pheasant's castle" a nearby "port" with a mole and a Lighthouse, near the Großteich (Great Lake).

Feldbahnmuseum Herrenleite [Community Lohmen at Pirna],  Die Fahrzeugsammlung (von 1981 bis 2001 in Klotzsche beheimatet) umfasst derzeit 95 Lokomotiven und über 340 Feldbahnwagen. Sie stammen fast ausschließlich aus Betrieben der ehemaligen DDR, vornehmlich aus dem sächsischen Raum. Die Baujahre der Loks liegen zwischen 1914 und 1980, die der Wagen sind noch etwas weiter gefächert. Die meisten Fahrzeuge fahren auf Spurweite 600 mm.

Das Museum wird vom Verein "Historische Feldbahn Dresden e.V." () unterhalten.

Feldschlößchen-Stammhaus (principal firm or parent house),  the monument-protected turbine house is the last still preserved building of the in 1858 created "share brewery to Feldschlößchen" and after complex reorganization was re-opened in 1998 as Feldschlößchen principal firm. For a visit one can choose between the riser room, the old brewing house with gallery or the brewing master room, also 2 conference halls are available.

Under the roof of the Feldschlößchen principal firm is a permanent exhibition of the brewing history of Dresden and environment.

Felsenbühne Rathen [Kurort Rathen], 
1936 gegündet, verfügt das Freilufttheater im Wehlengrund seit 1957 über 2000 Plätze und wird von Mai bis Anfang September von den Landesbühnen Sachsen bespielt. Ihr Repertoire reicht von Oper über Musical, Schauspiel, Kindertheater bis zu Konzerten.
Felsenkeller,  former brewery in the area called Plauenscher Grund, around 1900 one of germany's largest brewery. After the Change several Trader and restaurants setlled in this area but they did not last very long. In the adits of the brewery occasional flea markets took place. In one of the adits, so a story goes, lives the "Iceworm", the trademarke of the beer brand "Felsenkeller".
Ferdinandplatz 1945 vollkommen vernichteter Platz in der östlichen Seevorstadt. Der in Platzmitte befindliche Gänsediebbrunnen wurde beim Wiederaufbau der Weißen Gasse dorthin versetzt.
Nach 1990 wurde ein noch nicht vollkommen als Platz gefasster Ort in der Nähe mit diesem Namen versehen.

2007 sollen wegen der Tiefgaragenbauarbeiten am Altmarkt der Herbst- und der Striezelmarkt auf den Parkplätzen am Ferdinandplatz stattfinden, je nach Baufortschritt weitere Spezialmärkte im Jahr 2008

Fernsehturm (television tower),  built in 1964-69 in the district called Wachwitz by Kurt Nowotny, Herrmann Rühle and Johannes Braune. The tower is 252 m high, 167 m in steel-concrete and an arial which is 85 m high. Until 1991 there was a popular 2-floor Café and an observation decke above. Unfortunaltely, the current owner, Telekom in Dresden, is unable to keep this tower in the same good condition as its other "West German" towers like the ones in Stuttgard and Dortmund, and to preserve it as landmark and to find someone to keep the restaurant or at least to keep the look-out going.

Anfang der 90er Jahre wurde der Fernsehturm vom jetzigen Betreiber Telekom aus finanziellen Gründen für die Öffentlichkeit geschlossen. Ursache dafür sind die heutigen hohen Sicherheitsstandards und die damit verbundenen Sanierungskosten.

Der Förderverein Fernsehturm Dresden e.V. () strebt die Wiederbelebung der Aussichtsetagen an.

Die Telekom plant den Verkauf ihrer Tochter Deutsche Funkturm GmbH, welche auch den Dresdner Fernsehturm betreibt.

Some data on the TV tower
Opening in1969
Height to the top252 m
Shank diameter9,40 m at the tower base and at cup edge
Total weight7300 t
Stairs750 steps
elevatorsTwo speed elevators lifts(6 meters / second)
Authorised Persons (1975)platform 150, Café 170, Total 320
UndergroundLusatian granite
Height of the café145 m
Level of the observation deck148 m

Source: www.fernsehturm-dresden.de

Festspielhaus Hellerau (festival hall),  built in 1911 after plans by Heinrich Tessenow, symmetrical complex around a large fore court with commercial buildings and gate lodges, the original festival hall reminds of a Greek temple. The middle building which has got a gable in a shape of a triangle connects to a narrow side wing. The festival hall, which has got no stage, was a novelty and was used as a "Academy of Music and Rhythm". The famous Geneva music pedagogue Emile Jaques-Dalcroze worked here.

After 1925 the complex was used in different ways: since 1937 as baracks of the Reichs police force (temporary also SA/SS) and from 1946 until 1992 as military hospital of the Soviet Army. Since 1992 there are reconstruction works on the way and a re-newal for artistic projects and it is used also by the "European Workshop of Art and Culture Hellerau E.V"

Festung Dresden sie hat ihren baugeschichtlichen Ursprung in der im ausgehenden 12. Jh. entstandenen Stadtmauer, die weitestgehend unverändert bis zu Beginn des 16. Jh. fortbestand. Um diese Zeit erkannte Herzog Georg der Bärtige , dass die mittelalterliche Stadtbefestigung im Belagerungskrieg keinen ausreichenden Schutz seiner Residenz mehr bot. Ab 1519 liess er deshalb die Stadt unter Einbeziehung der Siedlung um die Frauenkirche mit Erdwällen, Basteien und breiten Wassergräben umgeben. Die mittelalterliche Stadtmauer mit dem Frauentor blieb zunächst noch erhalten.

Mitte des 16. Jh. erfolgte unter Herzog Moritz und seinem Baumeister Caspar Vogt von Wierandt die Umgestaltung zur modernen Bastionärbefestigung mit einem sternförmigen Grundriss aus geraden Wällen mit pfeilförmig hervorspringenden Bastionen.

August der Starke ließ alle Bastionen nach Sonne, Mond und fünf Planeten umbenennen. Römische Götter gaben den Planeten und damit auch den Bastionen ihren Namen:

Ursprünglicher Name Name im 18.Jh. heute Nähe
Kleine Bastion Venus Belvedere
Hasenbergbastion Mars Rathenauplatz
Salomonisbastion Jupiter Georgplatz
Seetorbastion Merkur Dippoldiswalder Platz
Wilsdruffer Bastion Saturn Postplatz
Mönchsbastion Luna (Mond) *) Zwinger
Bastion am Schloss

Sol (Sonne) *)

Theaterplatz

Bastion an der Elbe

*) veränderte Lage bedingt durch den Bau des Zwingers

Nach dem Schleifen der Festungswerke im 19. Jh. blieb nur ein Teil entlang der Elbe erhalten, die heute weltbekannte Brühlsche Terrasse.

Der Verein Brühlsche Terrasse e.V. bietet Führungen in den Kasematten des Festungsmuseums an.

Festung Königstein [Saxonian Switzerland],  is built on a sandstone board mountain, it was mentioned in 1241 for the first time, the fortress is one of the most important trip goals in of the Dresden environment and an important monument of European fortress art. One reaches via 3 drawbridges a 245 m high rock massif located obove the river Elbe, whose cliffs up to 40 m are high. "Königstein" was among also border castle, fortress, state prison and place of refuge of members of the Royal Court.
Fetscherplatz,  congested square on the interface of the former suburbs Johannstadt to the former village of Striesen. The westerly development and the gap closing properties built in Wilhelminian style and the 90's creates a closed appearance, the estern part is bordered by towns house (called "Coffee Mill Houses"), which are typical for Striesen. On the North side is the traditional hotel and restautant Arthushof, in GDR-times the Czech restautrant "Ostrava" was situated here.

The West side evolved into a busy shopping centre with Interchange.

Der Platz, der vor dem Krieg Fürstenplatz hieß, ist nach dem Arzt Rainer Fetscher benannt.

Fichte park,  public park in the upper part of the district Plauen, originaly called Bismarckpark, and re-named in 1937 after J.G. Fichte. The complex which is under an preservation order, including the tower was lovingly restored after the Change. The SDP of Dresden Plauen/Coschütz celebrates every year the 1st of May with a traditional "Family day at the Fichte tower" and an annual Pentecost singing along takes place here.
Fichte tower 200 m above NN, built in 1896 as the so called Bismarck tower, and re-named in 1954 after J.G. Fichte. The view from the tower which is located in the Fichtepark reaches far into the Eastern Erz Mountains, Saxonian Switzerland and the Lößnitz.

The tower is open regular only on weekenends and public holidays, but is the only tower in Dresden that opens all year long.

Filmnächte am Elbufer die 1991 erstmals veranstalteten Fillmnächte sind wahrscheinlich das schönste Open-Air Kino- und Konzertfestival in Europa. Vor der weltberühmten Silhouette der Innere Altstadt bietet das Areal am Elbufer mitten in der City ca. 4.000 Sitzplätze für Besucher von Filmveranstaltungen, 400 davon überdacht im oberen Gastronomiebereich.
Finanzministerium / Ministry of Finance (treasury),  built in 1890/96 by Otto Wanckel and Ottomar Reichelt in the style of the Neo-renaissance.
The in 1945 destroyed building was rebuilt, first simplified without roof, in 1996 however to a large extent in its original external state.

In der DDR-Zeit war hier die Bezirksbehörde der Volkspolizei untergebracht, heute teilen sich Finanz- und Kultusministerium das Haus. Das Gebäude korrespondiert städtebaulich mit der benachbarten Staatskanzlei.

Findlingsbrunnen der 1991 eingeweihte Brunnen im Neubaugebiet (Alt-)Gruna mit Findlingen aus dem Braunkohle-tagebauen der Lausitz wurde vom Dresdner Bildhauer Eberhard Wolf geschaffen. Mit den natürlichen Materialien und der asymmetrischen Form schuf er bewusst einen Gegensatz zu den Plattenbauten der Umgebung.
Fischhaus,  Inn on the street Radeberger Straße on the South border on the Dresdner Heide, the Restaurant, boarding house and beer garden were lovingly restored in the 1990s.
Floods,  see Hochwasser
FKK-Bäder in Dresden
see special pageSports sites and swimming pools
Flughafen Dresden / Airport Dresden,  The old airport was established from 1934. The, during its time time modern airport building, in the style of the "Neuen Sachlichkeit" (minimalist) established, accommodated a restaurant, a skittle-alley and a popular roof garden restaurant. The building called Hansa-Haus, designed by Kurt Otto, was reconstructed and turned into Terminal 1 after "the change", next to it Terminal 2 developed in 1992/95.

Das 1995 noch unter Denkmalschutz stehende Hansa-Haus wurde 2010 zugunsten zweier Hallen für Kleinflugzeuge abgerissen.

The new terminal was built in 1998-2001 under line of the architects Blees and Kampmann, approximately 400 building people worked at the same time on the project.
The terminal resulted from change of a former airplane hangar while maintaining the architectural essential structures (basic structural steelworks and the arrangement in a central and two side ships). It possesses a surface area of 170 x 150 m and is approx. 25 m high. he terminal possesses five levels including underground rapid-transit railway connection and prospect platform. Over a footbridge one arrives into a large multi-storey car park.

The new airport has a dispatching capacity of 3,5 million aircraft passengers annually. Seit 2008 trägt der Flughafen die offizielle Bezeichnung Dresden International.

Flugplatz Kaditz,  The in 1913 by the City of Dresden opened "urban land and water airfield Dresden" was then the first local airfield in Germany. In 1915 began the military joint use of the plant. After the 1st World War it turned out that the unfavourable meteorological conditions in the Elb-valley opposed a further development of the efficiency and attractiveness. The airfield Kaditz was closed in 1927.
Flügelwegbrücke,  built in 1920/30 as connection between Cotta and Übigau. Until the early 1980's the bridge was under the name Kaditzer (Elb-)Brücke in the City maps, in 1984 it was re-named to Rudolf-Renner-Brücke, in 1991 to Flügelwegbrücke. This name was originaly meant fro the bridge across the access road to the port Alberthafen but was soon used for the new bridge as well.
The old bridge was demolished a short while and is currently being rebuilt as part of the 4-lane West tangent. Die anschließende Kreuzung der Westtangente mit der B6 wurde kreuzungsfrei neu gestaltet und am 19.06.2006 dem Verkehr übergeben.
Forschungszentrum Rossendorf (FZR) das im gleichnamigen Ortsteil der Ortschaft Schönfeld-Weißig gelegene Institut betreibt anwendungsorientierte Grundlagenforschung mit den fachübergreifenden Forschungsschwerpunkten
  • Struktur der Materie
  • Lebenswissenschaften
  • Umwelt und Sicherheit

Das FZR ist mit ca. 550 Mitarbeitern das größte Institut der Leibniz-Gemeinschaft ().

Fortress Königstein,  see Festung Königstein
Forum Am Altmarkt,  seit dem 19. Jahrhundert am Altmarkt ansässig, errichtete die Sparkasse 1907 unter Leitung von Hans Erlwein ein eigenes Gebäude zwischen Pfarr- und Schulgasse.
1998/99 wurde auf dem Flurstück des 1945 völlig zerstörten Hauses ein sich der Umgebung gut angepasster Neubau errichtet. Dabei konnten Teile der mittelalterlichen Stadtbefestigung in das Bauwerk integriert werden.

Das Haus vereint das Kongress- und Veranstaltungscenter "Forum Am Altmarkt" mit einem Finanzdienstleistungszentrum.

Forum Dresden,  see Centrum-Warenhaus
Frauenkirche,  1726-43 of George Bähr as follow-up's building of the romanic church "to our dear ladies" and as Evangelist-civil counterpart to the catholic Hofkirche established. The church is a centralised building with a square sketch of around 45 x 45 m, four towers, one on each corner and a large dome. With the so called lantern and the cross the building is less than 92 m high.

Dimensions of the Frauenkirche
height with tower cross 91,23 m
Gründungstiefe unterhalb vom Gelände6,60 m
broad (north/south)41,96 m
length (west/east)50,02 m
outside diameters of the dome26,15 m
height of the church room36,65 m
height of the stair towers50,98 m
visitor platform with the lantern66,30 to 67,06 m

all data of heights refer to the floor of the church ship approx. 0.50 m over areas

Source: SZ from 11.08.2005

On 15 February 1945 the sandstone dome in itself collapsed, after it had gotten over the first bomb attack outwardly relatively without damage. The cause seems to have been a large heat development in the cellar caused by burning of there stored film material.

Up to the Change the ruin with its two rising ruin parts and the wild heap of stone was a memorial against the war. In 1993 the archaeological clearing out began, on 27th of May 1994 the symbolic laying of the corner stone for the reconstruction of the church took place, which will be completed in 2006.
At the end of August 2003 the structure of the external dome finished. During the building that was "supplemented" and in the meantime again diminished stroke stand worth seeing, in the meantime already constantly shines the new sandstone fronts far into the urban space inside.
In the already finished Unterkirche concerts take place in favor of the reconstruction.

On 2 May 2003 the new bells in a procession were led by Dresden to the Frauenkirche, 2 days later the solemn consecration (Weihe) took place.
The last stone was set on the 13th of April 2004.

By setting the tower hood and the tower cross on the 22nd of June 2004 the re-establishment of the outside shape of the Dresdner Frauenkirche was finalised.

Am 09.05.2005 trafen die ersten in Straßburg von Orgelbaumeister Daniel Kern gefertigten Orgelteile ein.

Am 30.10.2005 erfolgte die feierliche Weihe der Frauenkirche.

Kuppelaufstieg
Seit 01.02.2005 können Dresdner und Touristen die Kuppel besteigen und die herrliche Aussicht (bei schönem Wetter) genießen.

Unlike the construction of the Frauenkirche stagnated the construction of the front before the church lying New Market until mid-2004, since then "turn the cranes" ( special page).

Freiberger Arena 2005/07 neu errichteter Sportpark im Ostragehege. Auf über 11.000 m˛ bietet die Freiberger Arena eine Vielzahl sportlicher Aktivitäten und Veranstaltungen. Der Gebäudekomplex besteht aus einer Eisarena, einer Trainingseishalle, einer Ballspielhalle sowie einer 333 m langen Eisschnelllaufbahn. In der Eisarena finden fast 4.200 Zuschauer auf zwei umlaufenden Rängen Platz.
Freilichtbühne Junge Garde 1953-55 nach Ideenskizzen von
Herbert Schneider in einer ehemaligen Kiesgrube im Großen Garten errichtet. Das längliche, leicht konvex gebogene Bühnenhaus erinnert mit seinen zweistöckigen Flügelbauten und dem einstöckigen Verbindungsgang an ein kleines sächsisches Sommerschlösschen. Etliche Architekturelemente wie Dachgauben, Gesimse und farblich betonte Spiegelfelder unter den mit Sprossen gegliederten Fenstern knüpfen an sächsische Traditionen an, die geschwungenen Schieferdächer erinnern an ostasiatische Einflüsse beim Bau von Schloss Pillnitz.

Die Freianlage mit insgesamt 5000 Zuschauerplätzen hat die Form eines Ovals und bietet bei einem Höhenunterschied von ca. 6 m gute Sichtverhältnisse. Freiluftkonzerte finden u.a. während des jährlichen Dixielandfestivals statt.

Fresswürfel,  popular name for the building of the former restaurant "Am Zwinger" which was one of the large restaurants of the GDR era with "Radeberger Cellar", dance restaurant, wine restaurant, ice bar and the high-speed restaurant "Gastronom", at the square Postplatz. The complex opened in 1967, in 1992, for reasons of hygiene, closed.

The tear down has been delayed due to on going disputes of the present owners again and again, only the part belonging to Adventa-propery (abouth one third) was torn down because of the new built of the so called "Riegel". In the desolate remainder building "junk offerers" offer their junkand do not impair the city centre positively.

Der Abriss des restlichen Gebäudeteiles erfolgte bis Sommer 2007, die Fertigstellung des auf diesem Grundstück vorgesehenen Wilsdruffer Kubus erfolgt im Sommer 2008.

Friedenskirche 1889-91 von Christian Friedrich Arnold in neogotischen und neoromanischen Formen in der damaligen Gemeinde Löbtau errichtet. 1945 teilzerstört, wurde sie 1949/50 von Otto Bartning als hölzerne Interimskirche wieder aufgebaut und prägt noch heute in dieser Form den Stadtteil.
Der neugotischer Altar mit Alabasterrelief stammt aus der Sophienkirche.
Friedersdorf district, see special page Ortschaft Weixdorf
Friedersdorf district, see special page Ortschaft Weixdorf
Friedhöfe see Sondertafel Cemetery
Friedrich August I., August der Starke Kurfürst von Sachsen, seit 1697 als August II. auch König von Polen, . Wegen seiner legendären Kraft August der Starke genannt. Seit 1694 als Friedrich August I. Kurfürst von Sachsen und seit 1697 als August II. König von Polen. Er trat, um König von Polen zu werden, zum katholischen Glauben über. Sehr bedeutend war sein Einfluss auf die kulturelle Entwicklung in Sachsen. Mit vielen Kulturdenkmälern ist sein Name als Auftraggeber verbunden. Auf seine Anweisung wurde 1710 die Porzellan-Manufaktur in Meißen gegründet. 1722 begann die Neuorganisation und Erweiterung der Kunstsammlungen und die Vermessung der sächsischen Straßen. In dieser Zeit wurden auch die ersten Postmeilensäulen aufgestellt. Ausgezeichnete Barockbaumeister wie Wolf Caspar von Klengel, Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann, Johann Chrstoph Knöffel, Zacharias Longuelune und Jean de Bodt kamen nach Dresden. Zwischen 1726 und 1743 erbaute George Bähr die Frauenkirche. Die Dresdner Kunstsammlungen, vor allem die Porzellansammlung, die Pretiosensammlung (Grünes Gewölbe), die Gemäldegalerie, das Kupferstichkabinett, das Münzkabinett und der Mathematisch-Physikalische Salon gehören seitdem zu den reichsten Kunstsammlungen Europas. Auch die Dresdner Antikensammlung (Sammlung antiker Skulpturen) war damals die größte nördlich der Alpen.
Friedrich August II. . Friedrich August II. regierte als Kurfürst von 1733 bis 1763 und seit 1734 auch als König von Polen unter dem Namen August III. In seiner Zeit erfuhr die Gemäldegalerie ihre wichtigste Erweiterung, So kam die Sixtinische Madonna nach Dresden. Auch das sächsische Musikleben erreichte eine führende Stellung in Deutschland, die Hofkirche wurde gebaut. Da er wenig Interesse am politschen Geschehen hatte, überließ er die Regierungsgeschäfte Graf Heinrich von Brühl. Im Jahr 1740 wurde dieser de facto und 1746 tatsächlich sächsischer Premierminister.
Friedrichstadt district, see special page Friedrichstadt
Friedrichstraße,  main street of the baroque urban extension "new suburb" Friedrichstadt, preserved are some are some baroque community centres in very different condition (from extensively restored to extremely desolate), the city hospital Stadtkrankenhaus Friedrichstadt in former Marcolinipalais, the baroque Matthäuskirche (by Pöppelmann, with cemetery) as well as the historical very interesting cemetery called Alter Katholische Friedhof.

The road is birth and residence of famous Dresden people, and many well-known personalities are buried on the both cemeteries.

Friedrich-Wieck-Haus,  house of the music paedagogue Friedrich Wieck in the village center from Loschwitz until his death in 1873.
Fürstenzug (Prince course, mural),  at the exterior of the Langer Gang (long aisle) of the Castle, which connects the George building (Georgenbau) with the Stable yard (Stallhof) is a "Wandflies" of the history of the Saxonian rulers. The 1872-76 monumental Sgraffito painting, created by William Walther was replaced in 1907 by Meissner porcelain tiles.