Magazin (furniture store),  established in 1995/96 after plans of the abacus architects Hanns W. Leithhold, Marcus Mannhardt and Birgit Prelle in the street Grüne Straße. Is considered to be one of the few sensible examples of the After-Change-Architecture.
Magdeburger Straße,  part of the western arterial road (B6) between Ostragehege and the back of the building complex Friedrichstraße (cemeteries, garden).
Marcolini-Palais,  see Hospital Friedrichstadt
Marcolinis Vorwerk,  built in 1856 in the current form, the name goes back to the Duke Camillo Marcolini, director of the Academy and China Manufacture, who purchased the ground in front of the "Bautzner Tor" in 1785. It is a two-floor Mansion with a park like garden leading down to the river Elbe. The so called "Nicolai school" was built in similar style (Georg Hermann Nicolai, next to Gottfried Semper most influencial architect of the 19th century.)Today, the building is an exclusive restaurant.
Margon-Haus,  built in 1967 for the Economic Affairs Council of Dresden and after the Change used a Ministry of Economic and Office building. The illuminated advertisement "Margonwasser - prickelnd frisch", dating back to the 1950's and under preservation order, promotes since 2002, when the refurbishment of the building was complete for the popular mineral water "Margonwasser". It used to "shine" from the Hotel "Excelsior" near the main station Hauptbahnhof.
Maria am Wasser,  a church which was erected in Hosterwitz for the Elbe-skipper. First mentioned in 1406 and in 1497 rebuild in late-gothic style. In 1704 is was extended and altered in baroque style. The tower dates back to 1741, at least according to the weather vane.
Marienbrücke,  is Dresdens oldest preserved and constantly used bridge across the river Elbe. It was built in 1852 as combined rail and road bridge by Karl Theodor Kunz and Johann Gottlieb Lohse. The sand stone brigde has got 13 pylons and is 433 m long. It was widened in the 1990's on the side down the river, 50 m along is the second bridge Marienbrücke, solely used by the rail lines connecting the two large train stations Bahnhöfe of the town. This bridge was built in 1898-1901 by Hans Manfred Krüger and is currently being extensively restored and reconstructed. Another, third bridge Marienbrücke is planned a part of a South-West diversion of the traffic through the City Centre. However, it will not be built before the "slow-burner" bridge Waldschlößchenbrücke is completed.
Marienmühle 1532 erstmals als "Obermühle" erwähnt Ausflugsgaststätte im Seifersdorfer Tal. Um 1850 wurde eine Wassermühle erbaut, deren Hauptgebäude 1898 ausbrannte, später Wiederaufbau und Verfall.

1991/93 erfolgte die Restaurierung und Neueröffnung der beliebten Ausflugsgaststätte, Ende 2004 die Schließung und erneute Ausschreibung durch die Gemeinde. Die Marienmühle hat inzwischen wieder geöffnet.

Marienstraße,  part of the Old Town ring with the lane Wallstraße, lying within the western border of the medieval town. Between the two streets was the fortress (moat and city wall).
Markthalle Weißeritzstraße is a market hall build in the late 19th century to take some pressure off the weekly markets. In the street Weißeritzstraße markets were held until after the change, where vegetables and other fresh products were sold until large shopping centres on the outskirts took over. Today the furniture house "Domäne" is located here.
Markthallen,  since 1893 the market places were closed in favour of Market halls like the: Neustädter Markthalle, Markthalle Weißeritzstraße and one on the place Postplatz between the streets Wall- und Marienstraße, which was destroyed in 1945.

1) Heutzutage werden allerdings wieder Wochenmärkte durchgeführt.

Markuskirche die im Stil der Neogotik errichtete Markuskirche wurde 1888 geweiht. Sie gehört heute zur Ev.-Luth. Laurentiuskirchgemeinde Dresden-Trachau.

Die Markusgemeinde wurde bereits 1884 gegründet, vorher gehörte sie zur Kaditzer Kirche. In diesem Jahr wurde auch der Markusfriedhof angelegt

Marsdorf see special page Ortschaft Weixdorf
Martin-Luther-Denkmal (monument),  see Lutherdenkmal
Martin-Luther-Kirche,  most important evangelical church in the Outer New Town. Built in 1883-87 by EErnst Giese and Bernhard Paul Weidner in cathedral form with new-gothis style elements. When ascending the tower for which one should be free from giddiness one has a terrific view over the changing roof tops of the New Town.
Martin-Luther-Platz,  rectangular place in the Outer New Town with closed developments in Wilhelminien style and the church Martin-Luther-Kirche in its centre. After the change the open space around the church was newly developed, also with a new play ground and a fountain in form of a ball carried by the water.

North-east of the square is the Old Jewish cemetery.

Matthäuskirche,  evangelical baroque church built in 1728/29 by Daniel Pöppelmann. The constructor is buried on the nearby cemetery called Matthäusfriedhof.
Mälzerei,  an old factory building which evolved through step-by-step reconstruction into a department store with many little shops. Together with new and reconstructed factory buildings (also some administrative buildings) and the shops on the place Trachenberger Platz a quite lively district centre has developed, easily accessibly by city train and tram (station Pieschen).

Nach Insolvenz und Betreiberwechsel scheint die Zukunft des sich nun Kaufhaus nennenden Einkaufzentrums gesichert.

Max Bergmann Center of Biomaterials (MBC),  2002 vom Architekturbüro Brenner & Partner Stuttgart an der Budapester Straße erbaut. Der architektonisch anspruchsvolle Bau passt sich sehr gut zwischen das sanierte Laborgebäude und die benachbarten Bürobauten ein.
Max-Planck-Institut für Molekulare Zellbiologie und Genetik
das kurz MPI CBG genannte moderne Institutskomplex wurde 1999/2001 nach Entwürfen der finnischen Stararchitekten Mikko Heikkinen und Markku Komonen unter Beteiligung des Münchner Architekturunternehmens HENN errichtet.

Das mit dunkelblauen Metall verkleidete Hauptgebäude besitzt an beiden Längsseiten ein grünes Metallraster als Sonnenschutz, je nach Standort erscheint das Bauwerk in blau oder grün. Neben diesem Instituts- und Laborgebäude gibt es ein Versuchtstier- und ein Gästehaus.

Medizinische Fakultät,  see University Hospital
Medizinisch-Theoretisches Zentrum,  see University Hospital
Mehrzweckhalle Bodenbacher Straße (Multi-functional hall),   1997/98 nach Plänen des Architekten Witter errichtete Sport- und Mehrzweckhalle für ca. 3000 Zuschauer. Dieser erste Neubau seiner Art nach der Wende wird für sportliche Großveranstaltungen, aber auch für Konzerte genutzt. Since 2007, it named Margon-Arena.
Meißen,  see special page Meißen
Meißner Landstraße part of the arterial road to Meißen on the left side of the river , access to the motorway connection Dresden-Altstadt. Just befor the exit on the left hand side the church of Briesnitz.
Merbitz see special page Ortschaft Mobschatz
Messe Dresden,  Fair- and exhibition area of Dresden which is located on the place called Straßburger Platz. In 1896 the Exhibition Palace was built there, when the quare was still called Stübelplatz, and made Dresden to be Germany's first exhibition city. International exhibition history was written here during Hygiene-, Building- Art- and Garden Fairs and every year millions of visitors were drawn to Dresden.
To replace the in 1945 destroyed exhibition palace simple halls were built instead, for example for the Christiams Fair and Flower fairs.

In 1999 the co called New Fair was opened on the grounds of the former slaughter house in the Ostragehege, re-using some existing building, which is now a registered company called Messe Dresden GmbH. Included in the complex is a large open space with water basins and parking places. The public transport connection was initially provided by the bus line "M" and now by the bus number 82, which commutes in regular intervalls between Postplatz (from the in direction South West). The Fair halls are also suitable for large events of all kinds.

Meußlitz see special page Meußlitz
Mickten see special page Mickten
Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr ist im Hauptgebäude des 1873-76 errichteten Arsenals der Dresdner Garnision untergebracht. Schon 1897 wurden Teile der Arsenalsammlung in einer Ausstellung präsentiert. Ab 1914 nannte sich die Einrichtung Sächsisches Armeemuseum, ab 1940 Deutsches Heeresmuseum. Von 1946 bis 1965 fanden Veranstaltungen (Weihnachtsausstellungen u.a.) in dem nun Stadthalle genannten Gebäudes statt. 1972 eröffnete hier das Armeemuseum der DDR und zeigte seine Sammlungen zur deutschen Militärgeschichte. 1990 wurde es von der Bundeswehr übernommen.

Gegenwärtig wird das Gebäude nach Plänen von Daniel Libeskind umgebaut. Dabei wird die Hauptfassade durch einen in der Bevölkerung umstrittenen gläsernen Pfeil durchbrochen, der den Gesamteindruck des den Krieg äußerlich unversehrt überstandenen Gebäudes wesentlich verändert.

Ministry buildingalle Ministerien () befinden sich in der Inneren Neustadt im sog. Regierungsviertel um den Carolaplatz. Beachtenswert sind vor allem die mächtigen Gebäude der Staatskanzlei und des Finanzministeriums.
Mobschatz see special page Ortschaft Mobschatz
Mockritz see special page Mockritz
Moreaudenkmal memorial built in honour of the, in 1813 badly wounded French general Victor Moreau, who fought side by side with the allied forces (Russia, Prussia and Austria) against Napoleon. He died a few days later in Bohemia. The memorial was built in 1814 by Gottlieb Friedrich Thormeyer.

Not far away is a, in the 1960's with students very popular restaurant/inn Moreauschänke, a pub that was left to decay for many years and at that time be restored, but not as a restaurant)

Moritzburg,  see special page Community of Moritzburg
and Castle Moritzburg
Moritzmonument,  on the outer North East corner of the Brühlsche Terrasse is since 1896 the oldest monuments Dresden's is located, the Moritzmonument, created in 1553 by Hans Walter II.

Das Denkmal stellt dar, wie Moritz, der 1556 in der Schlacht bei Sievershausen (nahe Lehrte) fiel, seinem Bruder und Nachfolger das Kurschwert übergibt.

Moritzstraßeim 16.Jh. angelegte und heute überbaute Straße, welche vom Neumarkt in südöstlicher Richtung zum Maximilianring (heutige Ringstraße) verlief. Ihre geradlinige Verlängerung war die jetzige Lingnerallee.

An der Moritzstraße lagen bekannte Barockbauten wie Hotel de Saxe, Hotel Stadt Rom und British Hotel. Sie kreuzte die erst Ende des 19.Jh. angelegte König-Johann-Straße (heute Wilsdruffer Straße) etwa dort, wo sich lange Zeit das Restaurant "Szeged" befand. Die an den neuen Ecken seinerzeit entstandenen Gründerbauten unterbrachen das barocke Gesamtbild.

Bei einer angedachten Wiederherstellung müsste der gerade erst sanierte WOBA-Block mit dem ehem. "Szeged" weichen.

Mosaikbrunnen,  fountain in the park Großer Garten, designed in 1926 by Hans Poelzig entwurfen, an covered completely in little mosaik stones.
Mozartdenkmal,  the sculpture, erected in 1907 by the Berlin sculptor Hermann Hosaeus, shows 3 females (exhilaration, astringency and grace) dancing around the name "Mozart". The sculpture was restored in 1991 and giving a new golden coating. It stands to on the Bürgerwiese.
see also overview memorials
Möller's Sanatoriumum 1904 eröffnete der Arzt Möller auf der Malerstraße in Oberloschwitz seine erste Kureinrichtung, in der er u.a. die damals bekannte Schrothkur anwandte. Wachsende Patientenzahl führte wenige Jahre später zum damals sehr modernen eingerichteten Gebäude auf der Alpenstraße.
Nach Zukauf weiterer Villen stand den Patienten nun ein riesiges Areal im Karee Alpen-, Tiedge-, heutige Sierks- und Ulrichstraße mit parkähnlichen Anlagen zur Verfügung.
Im 2. Weltkrieg diente das Sanatorium als Reservelazarett, nach Kriegsende wurde es Stadtkrankenhaus Loschwitz und gehörte von 1972 bis 1993 zum Stadtkrankenhaus Neustadt.

Das bemerkenswerte Gebäude wurde inzwischen zum Wohnhaus umgestaltet, der Park mit seinen vielen Bäumen blieb dabei erhalten.

Mühlen / Mills,  see the following individual objects
Müllerbursche (mill boy),  sculpture created by Robert Henze on the in Dresden-Plauen located fountain called Müllerbrunnen.
Münchner Platz,  famous for the memorial in Hornour of the victims of the Dictatorship in the former county court Landgericht, which is today part of the Technical University (Georg-Schumann-Bau, converted in 1958/64 to a lyceum and research centre). On the South side is a memorial stone for the murdered Chilian President Salvador Allende, on the North side markets are being held every Wednesday.
Münchner Straße,  large road through the Südvorstadt and Plauen, due to the war destruction only a few of the originally beautiful town houses, dating back to the 1900's, are lining the road. In the part of Plauen mainly (social) housing from the 1930's until the 1950's.
Münzgasse,  little lively lane between the Brühlsche Terrasse and the Frauenkirche. Until recently it was the only Kneipenmeile, full of pubs and bars in the Old Town (among other thinks German, Spanish and Australian, Bars and Cafés), but now competing with the lane Weiße Gasse.

Münzgasse 1930, 1945, 1991 und 2004

Münzgasse impressions today

Münzkabinett,  collection of historical coins in the Castle.
Museen,  see overlook museums and entries in several different sections
Museum for Dresden Romantism,  see Kügelgenhaus - Museum for Dresden Romantism
Musikfestspieleeines der wichtigen Dresdner Festivals von internationalem Rang. Sie wurden 1978 per Dekret durch das Zentralkomitees der SED und den Ministerrat der DDR ins Leben gerufen und finden seither jährlich unter einem bestimmten Thema statt. Seit 1994 ziehen sie je Festival etwa 100.000 Musikfreunde an.

alle Themen seit Gründung der Musikfestspiele

Musikgymnasium,  see Villa Rothermund