Gagfah,  see Woba
Galerie Alte Meister,  see Old Masters Picture Gallery.
Galerie Neue Meister / Modern Masters Picture Gallery,  was separated in 1931 form the picture gallery and is accomadated since 1965 by the Albertinum. It consitst of paintings of the Classicism and Romantic, the Wilhelminian Era and the "socialist realism", reaching until the present.

On 06.20.2010 the new permanent exhibition of the Galerie Neue Meister will reopen.

Gänsediebbrunnen (Goose-thief-fountain),  1880 by Robert Diez, stood originally on the square Ferdinandplatz, which was completely destroyed in 1945 and was erected in 1961 in the lane Weiße Gasse
Garnisonskirche (barracks church),  built in 1893-1900 by William Lossow and Ernst Viehweger as a church for the evangelical and catholic services in the Barracks. It used to have 400 seats in the left catholic part and about 200 seats in the right evangelical part.

She was property of Saxony and after that owned by the GDR. After the Second World War the catholic part was renamed to St. Martin and the surrounding little towns used it because their own churches were mostly destroyed during the war. The right part was used over many years and a book depot of the county library and the Phonotheque.

After the change the church was restored carefully, sponsored by a private investor. The catholic and evangelical church share today the smaller left part, the right part was used 2004/2005 from the Puppet Theatre Collection (now in the Jägerhof).

Gaswerk Reick,  in 1907/08 Hans Erlein designed the Gas tank of the "Municipal Gas Works" in Reick, a barrel with a bore of 60m. In 1973 the works were stopped and after the Change there were ambitious plans for the building, to integrate a Musical theatre (for the Musical "Sissi").

On 09.12.2006 Asis Factory opened in a small gas tank her Panorama Project 1756 Dresden. Shown is the Baroque Dresden in 1756 from the tower of the Hofkirche.

Gedenkstätte Bautzner Straße im ehemaligen Gelände des DDR-Ministeriums für Staatssicherheit (MfS oder ugs. “Stasi”) an der Bautzner Straße eingerichtet, ist sie einzige noch im Original erhaltene und für Besucher zugängliche Untersuchungshaftanstalt des MfS im Freistaat. Es werden viele Räume des ehemaligen Gefängnisses präsentiert, die seit 1989 weitgehend in ihrem ursprünglichen Zustand erhalten blieben. Gezeigt werden auch Ausstellungen etwa zu Einzelschicksalen der politischen Häftlinge und Verhörmethoden des MfS. Getragen wird die Gedenkstätte von einem Verein.
Gedenkstätte Münchner Platz im ehemaligen Hinrichtungshof im früheren Landgerichtes am Münchner Platz wird an die 1.069 Widerstandskämpfer erinnert, die zwischen 1939 und 1945 mit dem Fallbeil hingerichtet wurden. Die sechs Todeszellen im Hof blieben unverändert erhalten.

Innerhalb der Gedenkstättenlandschaft gehört die Gedenkstätte Münchner Platz Dresden zu den Orten mit einer „doppelten“ Vergangenheit. Sie beschäftigt sich mit der politischen Strafjustiz und ihren Opfern im Gebäudekomplex am Münchner Platz während der nationalsozialistischen Diktatur, der sowjetischen Besatzungszeit und der frühen DDR. Bis Ende 1956, als die DDR-Justiz das letzte Todesurteil am Münchner Platz vollstrecken ließ, wurde das 1907 als Königlich-Sächsisches Landgericht eröffnete Gebäude als Gerichtsort, Haftanstalt und Hinrichtungsstätte genutzt.

Gemäldegalerie (picture gallery),  The building, also called Semper gallery was built in 1847-55, started by Gottfried Semper and due to his taking part in the Revolution 1848/49 and his following escape completed by Krüger and Haenel. With its completion in the style of the Italian High Renaissance the until then towards the river Elbe open Zwinger court was closed. After the destruction in 1945 the building was rebuilt in 1955/60 and extesively improved in 1988/92. In the Eastern part of the ground floor is the Armoury and the other parts of the building the Old Masters Picture Gallery.
Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister / Old Masters Picture Gallery,  in the building of the picture gallery on the square Theaterplatz are the collections until approx 1800. The most famous paintings are the "Sixtinische Madonna" by Raffael, "The sleeping Venus" by Giorgiones and the "Tribute Money" by Titian and also the most famous Dresden town scapes by Bernardo Belotto, alias Canaletto.

The collection also includes an extensive assortment of Italian, Dutch, French, Spanish, Flamish and German pieces.

Während des Zweiten Weltkriegs wurden alle Gemälde ausgelagert und blieben unversehrt. Nach Kriegsende kamen die Bilder in die ehemalige Sowjetunion, wurden aber 1957/58 zusammen mit Kunstschätzen anderer in der damaligen DDR gelegenen Museen zurückgegeben.

Gemeindehaus (Parish hall) of the mormons,  edified in 1988 by Dieter Hantzsche in the style of classical mansion housing integrates itself non-obtrusively into the open building development of other mansions built in the 20th century at the south-west border of the park Großer Garten.

Nevertheless the building stands up for its very own self-confidence in a well-balanced equilibrium between modern unornamental assembly and low-key reminders of classical figuration elements.

Gemeindewappen / City arms,  see special page of the neighboring community or city or their homepage. The arms of the places are gradually inserted a later date. A large number of these community arms can be found on the website Dörfer in Dresden (villages in Dresden) ().

The current city arms of Dresden see there.

Georg-Arnold-Bad,  inner city (in door and out door) Swimming pool next to the stadium "Dynamostadion", after the Change reniewed with a large lawn and several pools and a Giant slide.
Georg-Treu-Platz,  little square between the Academy of art and the Albertinum, access via a very decorative and attractive staircase to the Brühlsche Terrasse.
Georgenbau, Georgentor (George building, George gate),  the current building was built only in 1889/1901 after plans by Gustav Fröhlich and Gustav Dunger in connection with the reconstruction of the castle. After the rebuilt and renewal special exhibitions are being held and the entry to the Hausmanns tower is via this building.
Georgplatz zu 4 Teilkreuzungen aufgeweiteter Verkehrsknoten im Zuge der Nord-Süd-Verbindung St.Petersburger Straße mit der nach Südosten abzweigenden Bürgerwiese und den westlich abgehenden Richtungsfahrbahnen von Waisenhausstraße und Dr.-Külz-Ring.

Im Mittelalter befand sich an dieser Stelle der Judenteich, welcher Mitte des 16.Jh. auch Rohrteich genannt wurde. 1764 wurde hier ein Waisenhaus erbaut, 1777/80 eine dazugehörige Kirche. Der Platz des 1849 zugeschütteten Teiches erhielt 1861 den Namen Dohnaischer Platz. 1866 wurde hier die neue Kreuzschule eingeweiht, 1871 das Körnerdenkmal errichtet sowie der Platz selbst zu Ehren des späteren Königs in Georgplatz umbenannt.

Seit den Kriegszerstörungen errinnert nur noch das Körner-denkmal an den Platz, der 1971 eingezogen und der damaligen Leningrader Straße zugeschlagen wurde. Die Wiederbenennung erfolgte 1990.

Georgsbrunnen auch Drachentöterbrunnen genannt. Der 1898 von Artur Volkmann geschaffene Brunnen im Kleinen Schlosshof des Residenzschlosses zeigt den Heiligen Georg im Kampf mit einem Drachen.
Gericht, Court,  Dresden had several historical and architectural significant court buildings. Next to the old County Court on the square Münchner Platz (here Memorial for the victims of dictatorship) is the former district court, todays County Court (Landgericht) on the avenue Sachsenallee.
German Hygiene Museum,  see Deutsches Hygiene-Museum
Germaniadenkmal,  ehemaliges Denkmal auf dem Altmarkt.
Es wurde 1880 zur Erinnerung an den Sieg im Deutsch-Französischen Krieg 1870/1871 und an die in diesem Krieg gefallenen Dresdner von Robert Henze errichtet. Dargestellt war die Figur Germania, umringt von den vier weiblichen Allegorien Frieden, Wehrkraft, Wissenschaft und Religion.

Den Kopf des Denkmals entdeckte man 1991 in einem Garten in Blasewitz,
er befindet sich heute im Stadtmuseum.

Gesellschaft Historischer Neumarkt Dresden e.V. (GHND) tritt für die weitestgehende Wiederherstellung des 1945 zerstörten Neumarktes mit seinen kunst- und kulturgeschichtlich wertvollen Bauten ein. Um die 2005 fertiggestellte Frauenkirche soll der sie umgebende Platz in seinem historischen Bild und als harmonische, städtebauliche Einheit wiederhergestellt werden.

2009 erweiterte die Gesellschaft ihr Sachziel über das Neumarktgebiet hinaus und tritt seither für die "Bewahrung und den Wiederaufbau der das Stadtbild prägenden historischen Zeugnisse der Architektur und des Städtebaus in der Dresdner inneren Altstadt und inneren Neustadt ein."

Gewandhaus (Gewandhouse),  1. the old "Gewandhaus" am Neumarkt wurde 1591/92 von Paul Buchner errichtet. Das Gebäude im Renaissancestil beherbergte Verkaufsstände für Fleischer, Schuh- und Tuchmacher sowie einen großen Saal, wurde aber bereits 1791 aufgrund des schlechten Zustandes abgerissen. Wegen des somit größer gewordenen Platzes vor der neuen Frauenkirche wurde das Grundstück bis 1945 bewusst nicht wieder neu bebaut.

Reichlich 200 Jahre später will die Stadt das ihr gehörende Areal entsprechend eines Stadtratsbeschlusses wieder bebauen, wahrscheinlicher Investor des gesamten Quartiers VI ist Prisco mit seinen Partnern. Es ist allerdings nicht vorgesehen, dass alte Gewandhaus wieder zu errichten, sondern die Fläche zeitgemäß zu bebauen. Gegen diese Pläne läuft die GHND Sturm. Sie tritt für die Bebauung des Neumarktes entsprechend des Zustandes 1945 und nicht beliebiger früherer Zeitschichten oder Baufluchten ein. ().

Sieger des Wettbewerbes für den an dieser Stelle als Kunsthalle geplanten Neubau wurden die Stuttgarter Architekten Cheret und Bozic.

2. built in 1768-70 by Johann Friedrich Knöfel as the first new building after the 7-year-war. On he ground floor were originally butcher's stalls. After the rebuilt the back side was closed with a modern building and the fountain that stood before on the Dinglinger house [2.] (destroyed in 1945). Since 1997 the building is used as a 5-star hotel.

Gewandhausstraße little shopping mall between the Gewandhaus and the street Wilsdruffer Straße, in GDR-times mainly grocery stores, heute Teil des Kneipenviertels Weiße Gasse. .
Gewerbegebiet Coschütz/Gitterseecommunual industrial area on formerly conterminated ground (Wismut, Reifenwerk), after decontamination complete redisign for middle class factories, well exploited and urbanised (Software, luxury articles, building trade). Shortly connection to the A17 (Dresden-Prag) on the "door step".

The latest addition is a Swedish company called GP Plastindustri GmbH, which produces plastic closures for TetraPak.

Gewerbepark Nickernindustrial area South of the B172: Car dealers, do-it-yourself stores, Car registration office, Dekra, Shopping centre "Kaufpark Nickern" and others.
Gewerkschaftshaus / Union House see Volkshaus
Gittersee see Special page Gittersee
Gläserne Manufaktur,  the vitreous factory (VW-factory) at the place Straßburger Platz building high standard cars (Volkswagen), planned by Gunter Henn and completed on the 2nd March 2002. Interesting modern architecture, despite the boring front on the side of the road called Stübelallee generous open space design connecting to the park Großer Garten, includes the first station of the park railways, a side track for the first freight tram was built, that connects the factory with the goods station at the train station Bahnhof Friedrichstadt.
Globalfoundries, see AMD
Glockenspiele, Chimes
1. In the Zwinger
2. On the New Towns river side (near the Hotel Bellevue)
Gönnsdorf see Special page Ortschaft Schönfeld-Weißig
Görlitzer Straße eine der Hauptachsen der Äußeren Neustadt, gute Straßenbahnanbindung. An der Straße befindet sich der Abenteuerspielplatz Panama ( ) sowie eine hohe Konzentration von Kneipen aller Art.
Goethe-Institutnon-profit organisation whose mission is to promote German language and culture outside of the German-speaking countries. One of the 13 German Institute has in the Albertstadt (district of Dresden) its domicile.

The house was built in 1910 after plans of the building masters Hartung und Dutzmann in the architecture language affecting Hans Erlwein style, functioned until 1945 according to its regulation. After the war first provisional seat of the federal state parliament, it served it up to the Change as house of the NVA.

Gohlis,  the two boundaries Ober- und Niedergohlis belong today to the municipal district Ortschaft Cossebaude (for more information see there).
Gohliser Windmühle um 1828 entstanden, ist sie bis heute ein Wahrzeichen des Ortsteiles Gohlis der Ortschaft Cossebaude. 1867 kam sie an neue Besitzer, die neben der Mühle eine Gaststätte einrichteten. 1914 wurde der Mahlbetrieb eingestellt, Windmühle, Gaststätte und Elbführe blieben aber bis 1945 ein beliebtes Ausflugsziel. Nach 1945 verfielen Mühlen- und Gaststättengebäude, so dass letzteres in den 70er Jahren abgerissen werden musste. In der Mühle selbst bestand noch bis 1961 ein kleines Museum. Die unter Denkmalschutz stehende Windmühle wurde 1983 rekonstruiert und einige Jahre als Jugendclub genutzt. Mittlerweile ist sie jedoch erneut verfallen. Eine Rekonstruktion des technischen Denkmals sowie die Einrichtung einer Gaststätte ist geplant. Derzeit existiert ein bei den Nutzern des Elbradweges beliebter Biergarten.

Nach zweijähriger Sanierung wurde die Gohliser Windmühle am 09.09.2007 als technisches Museum und Gaststätte eröffnet. Neben der Mühle existiert ein bei den Nutzern des Elbradweges seit Jahren beliebter Biergarten.

Goldener Reiter,  the Golden Horseman,  monument of August the Strong on the Neustädter Markt, erected after plans by Jean Joseph Vinache and built in copper by the blacksmith Ludwig Wiedemann. The monument stands on its place since 1736 and horse and horseman were extensively sanified in 2001/2002, outside Dresden, the last leg of the reconstructions took place under cover on its original place.
Goldener Ring Neumarkt 3, der ursprünglich hochbarocke Bau wurde nach 1740 errichtet und nach den Zerstörungen 1760 vereinfacht mit Lisenen und Spiegeln wieder hergestellt.
Im 17. und 18.Jh. war das Haus die größte und vornehmste Beherbergungsstätte der Stadt.

Durch Fassadenveränderung im Sinne der Neorenaissance mit Gurtgesimsen und Pilastern gelang am Neumarkt ein glücklicher Eingriff des 19. Jh.s im Zusammenhang mit dem gegenüberliegenden Haus Neumarkt 4. 1945 zerstört und später abgerissen, wurde es 2005/06 mit historischer Fassade neu errichtet. Im Erdgeschoss befindet sich ein italienisches Restaurant.

Goldener Stiefel seit 1815 in Torna ansässige Traditions-gaststätte, zunächst in Alttorna 5 (). Das heutige Gebäude entstand 1876/77 am Paffenberg. Das beliebte Ausflugslokal mit Terrasse und großem Biergarten wurde 1992/93 und 2009 saniert.
Gomlitz see Special page Ortschaft Weixdorf
Gompitz see Special page Ortschaft Gompitz
Gorbitz see Special page Gorbitz
Gorbitz-Center,  shopping centre in the upper part of (New-)Gorbitz, one of the first shopping centres that was built after the Change.
Gostritz see Special page Gostritz
Großenhainer Straße,  arterial road towards Moritzburg, little busy city centres around the square Trachenberger Platz (Pubs, shopping centre "Mälzeri" [malthouse] ..) and around the Wilder Mann.
Großer Garten,  the 147 ha large park, called the green lung of Dresden covers a rectangle of 2x1 km, including the area of the Gläserne Manufaktur as well as the Botanic and Zoologic Garden.

The building of the park started in 1676. On the cross point between the Main and across allee, that connect the middle points on the sides is the baroque Palais im Großen Garten, built in 1678-83 by Johann Georg Starcke. The pleasure castle was used as museum of ancient times and thepark area around it was designed firstin French and later in english style. Around the palais was a group of orinianly 8 so called Cavaliers houses built, 5 of them are still preserved.In the nabouring palais lake is a large fountain.

Die umgebende Parkanlage wurde zunächst im französischen, dann im englischen Stil gestaltet. Die jährlich neu gestalteten Blumenrabatten am Palais, aber auch der nahe Dahliengarten im Spätsommer, sind äußerst sehenswerte Anlagen.

There are two famous restaurants in the Grosser Garten (Carolaschlößchen und Torwirtschaft), a Puppet theatre and the open air theatre "Junge Garde".

Große Meißner Straße seit dem 15.Jh. verschiedene Namens-formen wie Meißnische Gasse oder Große Meißner Gasse, seit 1864 Große Meißner Straße. Sie war bis 1945 eine der schönsten barocken Straßenzüge Dresdens. Die beim Bombenangriff zerstörten, aber aufbaufähigen Bürgerhäuser wurden um 1950 mit Ausnahme der Nr. 15 gesprengt. Diese, die sog. Regierung, wurde 1982/85 in das Hotels Bellevue einbezogen.

Die in den 1970er Jahren verlegte und verbreiterte Straße war seither bis zur Wende Teil der Köpckestraße.

Großes Haus,  see theatre Schauspielhaus
Großluga see Special page Großluga
Großzschachwitz see Special page Großzschachwitz
Gruna see Special page Gruna
Grundstraße verkehrsreiche Ausfallsstraße im Dresdner Osten vom Körnerplatz in Loschwitz nach Bühlau zur Bautzner Landstraße (B6). Bekannte historische Gaststätte "Zur Eule" etwa auf halber Länge. Jahrelang Dauerbaustelle wegen des darunter kanalisierten Loschwitzbaches.
Grundstraße,  busy arterial road in the East of Dresden from the square Körnerplatz in Loschwitz to Bühlau to the road Bautzner Landstraße (B6). Famous historic restaurant "Zur Eule" halfway along. It was a building site for many years because of the little stream "Loschwitzbach".
Gründer- und Gewerbezentrum sowie -Gewerbehof (Founder and trade center as well as trade center),  the modern new building "founder and trade center of the Dresden-Löbtau" is at the Löbtauer Straße [Löbtau] and 1998/99 on a former industrial industry was established. Into the 1930er years was here chocolates -, from 1945 to 1992 an engine factory.

The "founder and trade center Großenhainer Straße"
[Pieschen] resulted to 2002/03 from revitalization of an earlier industrial building. That last fallow lying complex was established 1938-1940 for the armaments industry and used after 1945 over 50 years as pressure and publishing house house.

The both centers for regional promotion of economy development small and centralconstant enterprises are operated of the DGH Dresdner Gewerbehofgesellschaft mbH (Dresden trade center company ltd.)

Grünes Gewölbe, Green Vault,  Europe's most remarkable treasure vaults with works of the royal Goldsmith Dinglinger (including the famous Court of Dehli), up to its destruction in 1945 in the City Castle, until 2004 in the Albertinum.

Return to the castle
The Green Vault was again-opened on the 08.09.2004 in the historical rooms of the castle, the actual historical Green the Gewölbe was solemnly opened to 15.09.2006 Bild("f","../Fotos2/Gruenes-Gewoelbe.jpg","Historic
Green Vault, White Silver Room with view into Gilt Silver Room
[Photo: SKD/David Brandt]","Gruenes-Gewoelbe","re")

Grützner-Villa,  see Villa Grützner
Güterbahnhof Friedrichstadt,  largest railroad shunting yard in Dresden with the largest hump. On the side is also a new consign station by the Deutsche Bahn to the VW-freight tram.

(see also Special page train stations)

Güterstraßenbahn,  freight tram, Dresden used to have several freight trams in its past which will not be mentioned here
(see Dresden transport, to navigate CarGo-Tram)

Since the beginning of the production in the Gläserne Manufaktur in 2001, a modern freight tram transports all spare parts between the freight train station Friedrichstadt and the factory. Usually the trains go via the raod Wilsdruffer Straße, but they can also be diverted along the ring road.
The 5-part-wagons are 59.40 m long and have a transport volume of 214 m³, the max weight is 150 t.

Güterverkehrszentrum (GVZ),  nach nur einjähriger Bauzeit wurde am 02.11.2005 der neue Umschlagbahnhof für den kombinierten Verkehr auf dem Geländes des Güterbahnhofes Friedrichstadt eingeweiht. Mit Inbetriebnahme des Terminals wird die den Anforderungen an moderne Leistungsstandards nicht mehr gewachsene Umschlaganlage in Dresden-Neustadt geschlossen.