Kabarett "Breschke & Schuch",  cabaret which was founded in 1998 in a former warehouse, on the square Wettiner Platz, which reminds in its style a little of Berlin "Hackesche Höfe". The entry to the venue, which has got about 200 seats is in the street Jahnstraße.
Kabarett "Herkuleskeule",  Founded in 1961, the theater is the oldest and most famous cabaret of Dresden, the venue is on the square "Sternplatz".
Kaditz see Special page Kaditz
Kaditz/Mickten, Stadterweiterungsgebiet
see Special page Gewerbegebiete
Kaffeemühlenhäuser (slang),  see Würfelhäuser (dice houses)
Kaiserpalast,  built on Pirnaischer Platz in 1896/97 from Schilling und Gräbner for the pharmacist Hermann Ilgen in the neo-baroque style. The striking residential and commercial building was destroyed in 1945.
Kaitz see Special page Kaitz
Kaitzbachtal,  lovely local recreation area in the South of Dresden between the first and second hill range parallel to the river Elbe. The little stream called the "Kaitzbach" originates from the area of Kleinnaundorf, crosses a dump and comes out in the districts Kaitz, Kleinpestitz and Mockritz, flows along old willows thrue the meadows and little garden around the Open air swimming pool "Mockritzer Bad", disappears in the district of Strehlen and comes back to the surface shortly in the park Großer Garten.
Kanzleihaus,  chambers bui1ding, built in 1565-67 by Hans Irmisch and borders on the South side with the stables Stallhof, in 1945 almost completely destroyed and rebuilt after the Change. It is one of the rare witnesses of the art of renaissance-style building in Dresden. The building is property of the Catholic church and residence of the bishop of the diocese of Dresden-Meißen.
Karl-May-Museum einzigartige völkerkundliche Ausstellung in Radebeul, untergebracht im Wild-West-Blockhaus "Villa Bärenfett". Aus einem in Europa einmaligen Sammlungsbestand zeigt das Museum etwa 850 attraktive museale Objekte aus dem Lebens- und Kulturkreis der nordamerikanischen Indianer.
Karstadt das zur Eröffnung modernste Warenhaus Deutschlands mit 30.000 m˛ Verkaufsfläche entstand 1993/95 an der Nordost-Ecke der Prager Straße nach Plänen des Düsselsdorfer Büros Architekten RKV Rhode, Kellermann, Wawarowsky+Partner. Bedingt durch Schäden der Flut 2002 wurde es anschließend umfassend saniert.

1909 bis zu seiner Zerstörung 1945 stand hier das legendäre Residenzkaufhaus. Nach der Wende begann auf der bis dahin unbebauten Fläche zunächst der Bau eines Hertie-Warenhauses, doch wurde durch die Fusion von Hertie mit Karstadt bereits während des Baus wieder umgeplant, um das neue Haus für Karstadt zu verwenden. Nach der Eröffnung zog Hertie in das bis dahin von Karstadt genutzte frühere Centrum-Warenhaus, welches (inzwischen als "Karstadt Haus 2" tituliert) 2006 einem neuen Einkaufstempel weichen soll.

Käseglocke (round cheese cover),  popular name of the little hut in the centre of the square called Postplatz, built in 1927 and used as a stopping point. Since 2006 not used.

Another similar building is on the square Albertplatz.

Kathedrale,  Cathedral St.Trinitatis, see Hofkirche
Käthe-Kollwitz-Ufer,  parallel to the river Elbe running main traffic roadverlaufende in the East of Dresden, northern border to the districts Johannstadt (until 1945 closed development and now mainly blocks of flats and high rise buildings, interessting restoration) and Blasewitz (remarkable mansions). From the bank one has a great view over parts of the New Town and the hill range from Loschwitz towards the so called Waldschlößchen-Areal and the castles Albrechtsschlösser.
Kaufhaus Esders 1894 gründete Heinrich Esders an der Ecke Prager Straße / Waisenhausstraße ein Spezialgeschäft für Konfektion. 1908 wird ein erweiterter Neubau festlich eröffnet, der seinerzeit als modernstes und schönstes Kaufhaus in Dresden gilt. 1945 fällt es mit der gesamten Umgebung den Bomben zum Opfer.

1998 öffnet an gleicher Stelle das neue Büro- und Geschäftshaus Esders, in dem sich heute u.a. mit medien@age eine Zweigstelle der Städtischen Bibliotheken befindet.

Kaufhaus Renner,  department store on the South side of the square Altmarkt and until its destruction in 1945 first known department store in Dresden to feature moving stairs (escalator). The department store stretched across several former middle-class houses.
Kaufpark Nickern beside the Elbe-Park biggest shopping centre outside of the Inner City and due to its closeness to the large housing development Prohlis not too isolated. It consits of furniture stores, DIY stores, electronic stores, grocery stores and clothes shops.

Mitte Oktober 2006 öffnete zu den insgesamt rund 70 Geschäften noch eine C&A-Filiale. Montags bis sonnabends findet auf der Terrasse ein Wochenmarkt statt.

Keppgrund side valley on the river Elbe to the highlands called Schönfelder Hochland, romantic hiking paths along the historic mill called Keppmühle (), which is regrettably closed since a few years and probably for good. In East German times it was used for Student parties, announced by many posters and signs.
KeppschloßHosterwitz, mansion originally owned by the Duke of Brühl, was purchased in 1774 ff. By Duke Marcolini, who altered its appaerance into a one-wing building. In 1861/63 the "Keppschloß", as it was now called was redesigned in English Trudor style.
Kess-Centershopping centre in the destrict Gorbitz, historicly on Wölfnitz Ground, next to it another shopping centre, the Gorbitz Hof, for the "lower estate" of Gorbitz.
Kesselsdorfer Straße,  arterial road towards Kesselsdorf and Freiberg (B173), in its lower part the traditional High Street (Clothes) of Dresden's West, after the Change lost lots of its significance but recently new shops brought back some upgrade. Due to the lack of Clothes Shops however its is of low importance beyond the regional boundaries. In this part is also the cematary Neue Annenfriedhof. The middle part seperates the housing development called Gorbitz from Altgorbitz, the upper part, gained mainly through suburbanisation, has furniture stores, Car dealerships, hotels and new houses.

The site Kesselsdorfer Straße goes back to Napoleon times, who instructed in 1809 the built of the "Freiberger Chaussee". This paved road replaced the previous route through Nieder- and Obergorbitz along the road Uthmannstraße.

Kiesgrube Leuben,  gravel-pit, used as "wild" swimming pool, partly nude-beach. There is an ongoing argument with the land owners and the lack of money on side of Dresden's City Council that prevents the bath to be transformed into an official swimming pool, as it is wished by many of Leuben's people.

Since 2005 there is a water-skiing centre (), since sommer 2007 the Wednesday Diving Team (Mittwochstauchteam der Naturfreunde Kiesgrube Dobritz e.V.) ().

Kirche Bad Weißer Hirsch Holzkirche von Richard Schaeffer nach dem Vorbild der Kirche Wang bei Karpacz (Krummhübel) im polnischen Riesengebirge. Die 1889 geweihte Kirche besitzt eine Jehmlich-Orgel von 1901.
Kirche Jesu Christi der heiligen der letzten Tage
see Gemeindehaus der Mormonen / Community House of Mormons
Kirche Schönfeld die Kirche mit Satteldach und erhöhtem Chor mit Sterngewölbe wird bereits im 13. Jh. erwähnt. 1896 erfolgt der Neubau eines 54 m hohen Turms, der 1970 auf 34 m verkürzt wird. The sandstone pulpit and baptismal font, carried by angels, dating from the 17th Century.

Church, castle and village pond form the heart of this local part of the district Schonfeld-Weissig.

Kirche des Ehrlichschen Gestifts 1904/07 von Emil Scherz im neugotischen Stil an der Güntzstraße/Ecke heutiger Straßburger Platz errichtet. Sie war die zweite Anstaltskirche des Ehrlichschen Gestifts, einer 1742 von George Ehrlich gegründeten Schul- und Armenstiftung. Die 1945 ausgebrannte, aber wiederaufbaufähige Kirche wurde 1951 gesprengt.
Kirnitzschtalbahn kleinster Straßenbahnbetrieb Deutschlands. Auf der rund 8 km langen Strecke in der Sächsischen Schweiz verkehrt seit 1898 eine meterspurige Straßenbahnlinie von Bad Schandau durch das romantische Kirnitzschtal zum Lichtenhainer Wasserfall. Von den Stationen führen Wanderwege zu herrlichen Aussichtspunkten am Winterberg, an den Schrammsteinen, den Affensteinen und am Kuhstall. Im Tal laden etliche Ausflugsgaststätten ein.
Kleinbauernmuseum Reitzendorf als Dauerausstellung in einem Dreiseithof aus dem 19. Jh. dient die im Original erhaltene Innenausstattung der Gebäude. Die einzelnen Räume wurden renoviert und anschließend authentisch und detailgetreu wieder eingerichtet. In ihnen findet sich eine reichhaltige Sammlung von Sachzeugen bäuerlicher Wohn- und Arbeitskultur aus einem Zeitraum von mehreren Jahrzehnten. Das Museum liegt in Reitzendorf, einem Ortsteil der Ortschaft Schönfeld-Weißig und wird vom örtlichen Heimatverein betrieben.
kleine szene neben der Semperoper weitere Spielstätte der Sächsischen Staatsoper Dresden in der Neustadt, genauer in der Radeberger Vorstadt. Sie wurde 1988 in den ehemaligen Wohn- und Arbeitsräumen der berühmten Tänzerin Mary Wigman gegründet.
Gezeigt werden überwiegend Werke experimentellen Musiktheaters, Kammertanzabende, aber auch Stücke für Kinder und Jugendliche. Das Repertoire umfasst eigene Produktionen, Gastspiele und Koproduktionen.
Bei 99 Sitzplätzen ist ein enger Kontakt zum Publikum gewährleistet.
Kleiner Hecht,  see Großer Hecht (Tram typ)
Kleines Haus,  (venue of the State theatre on the border of the Inner City, street Glacisstraße. It is a interesting building, with a set back stair case in the otherwise closed row of houses.)

1800 Errichtung einer frei stehende Villa (heute Vorderhaus) auf den ehemaligen Festungsanlagen am Rande der Inneren Neustadt, 1860 erfolgt der Anbau des heutigen Zuschauersaales. Bis 1930 befanden sich in dem auch Tonhalle genannten Gebäude Kneipe und Ballsaal, danach eine Kirche.

Seit 1945 ist das Haus Spielstätte der Staatstheater. Der gegenüber der sonst geschlossenen Straßenfront zurückgesetzten Baukörper fällt durch seine markante Treppenanlage auf.

1998 musste das Haus aus statischen Gründen geschlossen werden, danach diente es noch einige Jahre als Probebühne. Ab 2002 wurde das Gebäude umfassend saniert und am 15.01.2005 wiedereröffnet.

Kleinluga see Special page Kleinluga
Kleinpestitz see Special page Kleinpestitz
Kleinzschachwitz see Special page Kleinzschachwitz
Klima see Special page Climate in Dresden
Klosterhofformer abbey court located in Altleubnitz 12, occupied in the so called stone house (the real abbey court), an oxen barn and other outbuildings the area between the little ditch Leubnitzbach and Neuostra. It developed from a former commodity when Leubnitz merged in 1288 with the Abbey Altzella. The buildings degenerated during East german times, were torn down and after the Change rebuilt as hotel and restaurant. The comfy restaurant "Klosterhof" is currently closed after repeated change of owners.
Klotzsche see Special page Klotzsche
Komödie Dresden,  after the Change newly founded private theatre in the World Trade Center, which is the only Dresden venue which operates without subventionen, after selfdistription.

Der bisherige Betreiber der Komödie, Jürgen Wölffer, hat Anfang Mai 2010 Insolvenz angemeldet, seitens des WTC wurde ihm gekündigt. Das WTC will das Thetater mit neuem Betreiber, es ist der Leipziger Stefan Schepnitz, fortsetzen. Der daraus erfolgte Rechtsstreit ist derzeit noch offen.

Der bisherige Betreiber verkündet: "aufgrund der aktuellen juristischen Lage ist die Mietkündigung schwebend unwirksam. Die gerichtliche Klärung und die damit einhergehenden Fristen ermöglichen es, bis Dezember 2010 in den angestammten Räumen zu spielen."

Unabhängig vom derzeitigen Rechtsstreit spielt die Komödie im Sommer "im Park", in diesem Jahr auf dem Konzertplatz Weißer Hirsch.

Kongresshotel,  see Erlweinspeicher
Kongresszentrum,  see International Congress Center Dresden
Konsum Dresden eG Traditionsunternehmen des Lebensmittel-einzelhandels mit 39 Filialen in der Stadt und naher Umgebung. Die Genossenschaft hat rund 30.000 Mitglieder.

1888 wird der Konsumverein "Vorwärts" e.V. für Dresden und Umgebung gegründet, 1894 wird er erstmals Grundstücks-besitzer. 1931 wird die 1927-30 von Kurt Bärbig entwurfene konsumeigene Fleischverarbeitungsfabrik an der Fabrikstraße eröffnet.

1935/1936 wird der Konsum von den Nazis enteignet, die Rückübertragung 1946/1948 führt zur Neugründung von vier Genossenschaften in Dresden, die später verschmelzen. 1967 wird die erste Neubau-Kaufhalle übergeben, 1977 die erste Konsum-Gaststätte.

1990 fusionierten die Konsumgenossenschaften Dresden Stadt Land zur KONSUM DRESDEN eG. Im November 2000 wird die Neustädter Markthalle nach der umfassenden Renovierung wiedereröffnet. Im gleichen Jahr werden die neuen Vertriebsschienen KONSUM Frische-Markt und Frida eingeführt sowie 14 Kaiser's-Märkte übernommen.

2007 wurde die erste Filiale außerhalb Sachsens in Erlangen eröffnet, weitere folgten bzw. sind geplant. In der neuen Centrum-Galerie wurde ebenfalls eine neue Filiale eröffnet.
Heute ist das nunmehr 120 Jahre alte Unternehmen Branchen-Marktführer in Dresden.

Kopernikusstraße,  Main road in the
Hans-Richter-Siedlung.
König-Albert-Denkmal 1. das 1906 von Max Baumbach geschaffene Denkmal für König Albert befand sich auf dem Schloßplatz. In den Kriegswirren des 2. Weltkrieges wurde es offenbar eingeschmolzen. Nach 1990 wurde das Sockelfundament restauriert und damit der historische Denkmalstandort markiert.

Seit 2008 steht auf dem gleichen Standort das Denkmal
Friedrich August I.

2. Denkmal für den gleichen Herrscher auf dem Windberg in Dresdens Nachbarstadt Freital.

König-Johann-Denkmal 1889 nach einem Entwurf von Entwurf: Johannes Schilling errichtetes aus Bronze Reiterstandbild mitten auf dem Theaterplatz. König Johann von Sachsen ist in seiner Eigenschaft als Gelehrter dargestellt.
König-Johann-Straße,  see Wilsdruffer Straße
Königliche Ausspanne,  1832 errichtete Nebengebäude (Remise, Stallungen) einer bereits 1735 erbauten Schlossvilla in Niederpoyritz. Die Villa gehörte von 1835-54 dem sächsischen König Friedrich August II., diente bis 1975 als Wonhaus und musste 1983 wegen des nicht mehr aufzuhaltenden Verfalls abgebrochen werden. Mitte der 1990er Jahre wurden die früheren Nebengebäude zur "Pension zur königlichen Ausspanne" umgebaut.
Königliche Villa,  see Castle Wachwitz
Königsbrücker Landstraße,  continuation of the road Königsbrücker Straße in Klotzsche and Weixdorf, remarkable the old Spa Klotzsche and the new shopping centre Hohenbusch in Weixdorf.
Königsbrücker Straße,  arterial road up North towards the Airport, and to the districts Klotzsche and Langebrück and further towards Königsbrück. Between Albertplatz and the street Katharienstraße open plan classicistic mansions, partly disfigured by commercial usage, connecting a lively business quarter in mostly closed Wilhelminian style architecture, from the lane Bischofsweg on the left hand side mostly town houses, right barracks (partly used by the MDR as broadcasting building), from the road Stauffenbergallee on more barracks and commercial buildings, including the so called quarter Alte Heeresbäckerei, the new Techno-Park and the factory Infineon.
Königpassage,  passage in the shape of a court between the street Königstraße and the lane Rähnitzgasse. It developed in its current shape with luxury boutiques and other "posh" shops only after its redevelopment in the 1990's. A desolate building in Wilhelminian style, which closed a gap in the otherwise only "baroque" street Königsstraße was replaced by a modern and well blending-in adaptation.
Königstraße,  the most significant street apart from the Hauptstraße ("main street") in the Inner New Town, due to the fact that most houses in this baroque style street could be preserved it is from an architectural point of view the most precious street. It is also significant point when looking from the square Albertplatz to the Japanese Palais.

Plans for a street like that were already drawn back in 1711 but the Saxonian king August der Starke built the steet only in 1722 after purchasing grounds and tearing building down. Consistent hight of the buildings and a symetric front to differenciate the rest of the buildings from the palais was specified by the builting regulations of 1720 (extended in 1736): a simple design, emphasised centrelinewith gateway und house sign on the cap stone. The street was completed in 1765, survived the second World War but degenerated during East German times.

A wholsome reconstruction of the street Königstraße and its neighbouring (for example Rähnitzgasse, Prisco-Passage) streets took place after 1990 and is almost completed. Also the surroundings were redesigned, such as the trees. Pockets of green which are used a extensions (street cafes) during the summer months by the bars and restaurants nearby.

Königswald,  see district Klotzsche
Königsufer Uferpromenade, Straße und Grünanlage am Neustädter Elbufer. Die Anlage wurde 1933-36 nach Plänen von Heinrich Balke, Herbert Conert und Karl Paul Andrae unter Leitung von Paul Wolf angelegt.

Der 2 km lange Elbuferabschnitt von der Marienbrücke im Westen bis zur Priesnitzmündung im Osten wurde als großzügiger Grünzug mit Promenaden, Terrassen und thematischen Sondergärten angelegt, diente aber auch politischen Zwecken. Ein ganz klarer inszenierter städtebaulicher Höhepunkt bildete das sogenannte "Forum für nationale Kundgebungen", ein thingstättenartiges Freilufttheater unterhalb des Finanzministeriums.
Heute finden hier die "Filmnächte am Elbufer statt.

Zu den Anlagen gehören auch das Denkmal Bogenschütze sowie die Gartenteile Palaisgarten, Staudengarten und Rosengarten.

Köpckestraße,  street, in 1946 renamed from Asterstraße (in front of the Finance Ministry) into the street Köpckestraße, later including the lane Große Klostergasse (between the square Neustädter Markt and the street Wiesentorstraße). Since the 1970's it included the then newly built 4-lane avenue parallel to the Neustädter Elbbogen, which did not consider the pre-war structure. This part in front of the Hotel Bellevue got its original name Große Meißner Straße back after the Change, which went along there as considerably smaller road with its, in 1945 destroyed and later demolished baroque buildings. The eastern part kept its street name Köpckestraße.
Körnerhaus in the 17th/18th century the house was built over an architrave block because of its location on a slope, end of the 18th century it became the intellectual centre of Dresden. On the same grounds is the so-called Schiller House, a former outbuilding in which the poet Friedrich Schiller used to reside occationally. The Körnerhaus is today private property and not accessible to the public.
Körnerplatz,  central square in the district Loschwitz and created in connection with the built of the bridge Blue Wonder around 1900. In closed up building style surrounded with several clinker constructions, it is in beautiful contrast to the left-over village buildings. It is a changing point for several bus lines towards the funicular Standseilbahn and teleferic Schwebebahn and to the excursion boats on the river Elbe.
Kraftwerk Mitte, Cogeneration plant Mitte,  closed power station on the place Wettiner Platz and on the road Schweriner Straße respectively, also called "Aurora".

1926-1928 vom Stadtbaurat Paul Wolf in rotem Klinker erbaut um das Zentrum der Stadt mit Strom und Wärme zu versorgen. Nach der Stilllegung 1994 wurde für die zentral gelegene und bezüglich Dresdner Industriearchitektur herausragende Anlage eine neue Nutzung gesucht. Plans to use it, for example for the Operetta have not yet taken shape.

Das markante Kesselhaus wurde im Sommer 2006 abgerissen.

Anfang Mai 2008 wird die Nutzung als Staatsoperette nach Vorstellungen der Stadtverwaltung wieder aktuell. Das aktuelle Projekt beruht auf einem Entwurf des Architekten Kaplan.

Kraftwerk Nossener Brücke, power station
see Heizkraftwerk Nossener Brücke
Krankenhäuser,  see special page Krankenhäuser
Krankenhaus Friedrichstadt, Municipal Hospital  the former Marcolini-Palais or Brühl-Marcolini-Palais called building was errected in 1727 by Johann Christoph Nauman as little palais for a duchess. Later the Duke Heinrich von Brühl bought it. In 1774 the Duke Marcolini purchased it and extended the building with side buildings and Orangerie in 1774-78 by Johann Christoph Knöffel.

The, then most beautiful park of its time, is still an attractive sight. In the back, which is hidden due to the built hospital, is the baroque fountain Neptunbrunnen.

Krankenhaus Johannstadt,  hospital, see Universitätsklinikum.
Krankenhaus Neustadt hospital, see special page Städtisches Krankenhaus Dresden-Neustadt.
Krankenhauskapelle Johannstadt 1898/1901 im Kontex mit dem Aufbau des Johannstädter Krankenhauses, dem heutigen Universitätsklinikum, auf dessen Gelände errichtete Kirche. Architekt ist der auch für den Krankenhausbau verantwortlich zeichnende Edmund Bräter. Die 1945 ausgebrannte Anstaltskirche wurde 1950 abgetragen.
Kraszewski-Museum,  Nordstraße 28, was established in 1960 in the Summer house in the Dresden Antonstadt, where the Polish poet, historian and publicist Josef Ignacy Kraszewski lived from 1873 until 1879 during his 21-years long stay in Dresden.

The museum shows views of Polish history and culture in the 19th century and reminds of the various relations between Saxony and Poland.

Kräutersiedlung, "herbage development",  name for a back part of the modern concrete development in Gorbitz. The name originates from the street which are named after plants. After removing 2 or 3 floors of some houses, gaps in the fronts are created and the whole imression lightened up. The groundfloors get patios and on the upper floors balconies ar added. Opposed to other areas predominated by concrete blocks of flats, these houses are very popular.

Gorbitz [mit Kräutersiedlung]

Leider wird der dritte und vierte Bauabschnitt der Kräuter-siedlung nicht realisiert werden, da die Eisenbahner-Wohnungsgenossenschaft ihr Projekt aus Finanzgründen abbrechen muss.

Krematorium,  the building which stand next door the cemetery Johannisfriedhof, including a celebration hall and a Memorial garden/Urn court, built in 1911 by Fritz Schumacher in Art Nouveau style. 2003/05 entstand daneben die neue Krematoriumsanlage, die zu den modernsten Europas gehört.

On the Urnenhain (urn court) is a.o. the physicist Heinrich Barkhausen buried.

Kreuzkirche,  church, built in 1764-92 by Johann Georg Schmidt, evangelical main church of the Inner Old Town, instead of a gothic hall church, which was built on the ground of a romanic basilica. It merges baroque with classicistic style elements and the in 1788 by Hölzer completed tower reminds of the church Hofkirche. In 1897 the church burnt down and the inner was rebuilt in Art Nouveau style. In 1945 it burnt down again and after that the inner was just decorated with simple plaster.

Der gesamte Innenraum wurde 2003/2004 saniert, dabei wurde u.a. eine moderne Fußbodenheizung installiert.

Die Kreuzkirche ist Heimstatt des Kreuzchores (), eines der ältesten und renommiertesten Knabenchöre der Welt.

Audio test

Ein enger insbesondere historischer Zusammenhang besteht auch zur Kreuzschule.

Kreuzkirche Weißig Wehrkirche aus dem 13. Jh., nach Brand im 17. Jh. erfolgten mehrere Umbauten, bauliche Erweiterungen zu Beginn des 20. Jh's.
Die Kirche verfügt über bemerkenswerte Jugendstilelemente in Ausmalung, Prospektschnitzereien, Türbeschlägen und Fensterverglasung.
Kreuzschule (Kreuzgymnasium),  wurde im 13.Jh. als Lateinschule für die Sänger der "capella sanctae crucis", der Dresdner Kreuzkirche, gegründet und 1370 erstmal urkundlich erwähnt. Sie hat die Dresdner Kultur- und Bildungsgeschichte in erheblichem Maße geprägt und weit über die Stadtgrenzen Bedeutung erlangt.

Ihr erstes Schulgebäude entstand 1393 gegenüber der Kreuzkirche an der Schulgasse. Die neue, 1864/65 von Christian Friedrich Arnold am Georgplatz im neogotischen Stil errichtete Kreuzschule, wurde 1945 vollkommen zerstört. Einzig das davor stehende Körnerdenkmal erinnert noch an diesen Standort.

Von 1945-59 war die Kreuzschule im halbzerstörten Wettiner Gymnasium untergebracht. Der Kreuzchor fand zunächst Notunterkunft im Gymnasium Plauen, konnte aber 1947 Teile des ehemaligen Freimaurerinstituts in Striesen beziehen, wo es von 1954-59 auch eine von der Kreuzschule losgelöste "Internatsschule des Dresdner Kreuzchors" gab. 1959 wurden beide Schulen an diesem Ort wieder vereinigt. Parallel zur nach der Wende wieder Kreuzgymnasium genannten städtischen Einrichtung wurde 1997 das Evangelische Kreuzgymnasium in freier Trägerschaft der beiden Ev.-luth. Kirchenkreise Dresdens gegründet, welches seit 2004 nach einer Übergangszeit allein existiert.

Kreuzstraße,  narrow street between the City Hall and the eastern reconstructed post war developments around the square Altmarkt. Start- and endpoints are the church Kreuzkirche and the building Gewandhaus.
Kristall (cinema),  was built in 1997 by the "Architektenbüro Himmelb(l)au" in form of a crystal, originally as extension building to the cinema Rundkino.

The "Kristall" is the only, somewhat attractive part of the whole building and points towards the block of flats that line the Prager Straße. The building front pointing towards the road called St.Peterburger Straße is a rather unattractive, bare concrete front with metallic grids.

The new building with 8 new halls and 2700 place doubles the original capacity of the Rundkino to 15 halls and 4000 places. Since the flood in 2002 the cinema conceptions take place exclusively in the crystal.

Am 01.10.2004 übernahm die Düsseldorfer FSF GmbH den Kristallpalast von der insolventen Ufa-Theater AG.

Kronentor,  part of the Zwinger, besides the church Frauenkirche one of the most famous sights in Dresden. The gate, which is embedded in the galerie "Langgalerie" is crown with a copper roof, which has on an obelisk with four "Polish eagles" and the kings crown attached. The Saxonian elector August der Starke was at the same time King of Poland.
Kugelhaus
1. ball shape house, was built in 1928 after plans by Peter Birkenholz on the showground on the former Stübelplatz (today the square Straßburger Platz). It was the attraction of the show "The technical City " in 1928. The round body rested on a cylindric ball neck and had a diameter of 24 m, the whole construction weighted 230 t.The in 1938 torn down Dresden ball shape house was the firsdt of its kind in the world.

The society "Dresdner Kugelhaus e.V." () campaigned for its reconstructionin a modern fashion on the grounds of the former Narrenhäusel on the square Neustädter Markt.

2. ein 2004/05 nach Plänen des Architekten Siegbert Langner von Hatzfeldt am Wiener Platz errichtetes Bauwerk, wobei es sich genau genommen um die ersten beiden von insgesamt fünf geplanten Würfelhäusern und einer in deren Mitte integrierten Kugel handelt. Es wurde in einer Rekordbauzeit von knapp einem Jahr durch die Krieger Grundstück GmbH als wichtiger städtebaulicher Akzent am "Stadteingang Hauptbahnhof" errichtet.

(the Krieger property GmbH would like to establish a spherical house after the plans of the architect Siegbert Langner of Hatzfeldt between two of the cube houses.)

Entgegen ursprünglicher Planung als Wissenschaftszentrum ist mit dem Komplex ein weiterer attraktiver Einkaufsstandort entstanden. Rund 25 Geschäfte, darunter einige renommierte Boutiquen, ein Elektronikmarkt, der Quelleversand und der Bertelsmann-Club, laden auf insgesamt 7000 m˛ in 3 Etagen zum Einkaufen und Bummeln ein. Im obersten Stockwerk ist 03/2006 mit der Sky-Bar die versprochene "besondere Gastronomie" eingezogen.

Das Kugelhaus ist im Kellergeschoss mit der Tiefgarage Wiener Platz verbunden, direkt vorm Haupteingang befindet sich eine Straßenbahnhaltestelle.

Kulturpalast,  Cultural palast, built in 1962-69 by Wolfgang Hänsch as a flat building with "folded" copper roof. The flat solidium (surface area 102,80 m x 71,80 m, height of 19,35 m) forms the conclusion of the Altmarkt to the north.

The building is in reinforced concrete skeleton building method built, which disguises front base projectile with red granite, the upper floors are compound from aluminium glass elements. In the internal area a general-purpose hall with 2740 places is arranged, a multi-storey entrance hall is fronting it. At the sides are a Studio theatre with 192 places and a restaurant among other things accommodated.

Already in 1952 a competition was held for a new "house of the cultures" in form of a multi-storey building, which was not realised, also because of citizen protest.

In the street Schloßstraße is the currently covered up mural "The way of the red banner". Its future is as unclear as the ones for the entire building. There are ideas to convert it into a Concert hall (Headquarter of the Philharmony), total reconstruction or complete demolision. Von der Stadtverwaltung wird heute der Umbau zur Konzerthalle (als Sitz von Philharmonie und Staatskapelle) bei weitestgehenden Erhalt der äußeren Gestalt favorisiert. Eine Bürgerinitiative fordert das Belassen als Stadthalle mit multifunktionaler Nutzung.

The drafts by the Sachsenbau Chemnitz GmbH for converting the house as well as transforming it into a diagonally running shopping arcade, which divides itself under a large glass dome, considers, from view of the author, the town construction situation best.

Kulturpalast bleibt erhalten
Der Stadtrat beschloss am 15.07.2005, dass der Kulturpalast in seiner Form erhalten bleibt und nur behutsam saniert wird. Nördlich davon allerdings können die Flächen bebaut werden.

Im September 2008 wurde der Kulturpalast unter Denkmalschutz gestellt. Die Umbaupläne für einen modernen Konzertsaal bleiben unverändert.

Kulturrathaus, culture town hall . In 1824 the front building was erected after orders from a lady called Frau Trützschler, who had purchased a year earlier the neighbouring Hacklsche Haus. In 1860 a hall with open truss of wooden rafters. The socalled Bach-halls accommodated initially gastronomy, from 1879 to 1945 "Neustädter Casino"". After several post war alerations a reconstruction followed in 1991-94 for the usage of the Culture department of the city administration.
Kunstakademie,  Culture academy, built in 1887-94 by Konstantin Lipsius after demolision of several buildings by Knöffel as "Culture academy and exibition hall of the Saxonian Artist's society". Four wing building around around a large court, the cupola with gilded Fama as crowning. Especially the cupola was disputed because of its concurrence to the dome of the nearby church Frauenkirche. The reconstruction work after partial damage during the Second World War is still ongoing.

Die Sanierungsarbeiten nach den Teilzerstörungen 1945 sind weitestgehend abgeschlossen.

Neben der Kunstakademie als Institution beherbergte der Gebäudekomplex das Ausstellungsgebäude des Sächsischen Kunstvereins. Dessen Eingangsfassade an der Brühlschen Terrasse erinnert an einen griechischen Tempel. Mit der Kunsthalle, die seit Abschluss des Wiederaufbaus im Jahr 2005 von den Staatlichen Kunstsammlungen Dresden betreut wird, steht Dresden wieder ein imposanter Ort für Kunstausstellungen zur Verfügung.

Kunstgewerbemuseum,  1876 gegründet, gehört das im Schloss Pillnitz beheimatete Museum seit 1945 zu den Staatlichen Kunstsammlungen Dresden. Zu sehen sind im Wasserpalais vorrangig Glas, Gobelins, Kunstschmiedarbeiten und Möbel, darunter einige Thronsessel der Wettiner; im Bergpalais u.a. die Zinnsammlung, Steinzeug sowie Kunsthandwerk bis in die Gegenwart, aber auch Sonderausstellungen sowie einige im Originalzustand erhaltene Räume.
Kunsthandwerkerpassagen,  craftspeople passage, built in 2002 by the building society "Wohnbau Nordwest" in the middle-class houses number 9-19 in the street Hauptstraße ein the New Town. The passage, opened on the 3rd October 2002 between the "strolling mile" and the Societätstheater had got 21 craftpeople, several little shops and many little gastronimic places, inviting to buy, stroll and look around.

During the reconstruction works, several alterations from 1979 and a little passage of the formerly famous shop "Textilhauses Hohlfeld" took place and the place put back in its original condition.

Kunsthofpassage,  art court passage between the streets Alaun- and Görlitzer Straße, beautifully reconstructed, with each eachother connected courts in the Wilhelminian style district Outer New Town. The reconstruction began 1997 with the yard of the fabulous creatures of Viola Schöpe, afterwards followed the yard of the elements with the artistically twisted rainwater pipes, the yard of the metamorphosis, the yard of the light, latest gain is the yard of animals. In the lively court yards with their intersting front decorations are utility areas, living quarters and work shops and gastronomy peacefully next and above each other.
Kurhaus Bühlau,  the hall, which is now demolished was after the Second World War a venue of the State theatre, the front building remains and is included in the quite formal kept district centre of Bühlau on the square Ullersdorfer Platz.
Kurhaus Kleinzschachwitz,  the spa hotel was built, including an entertainment garden in connection with the posh town house area called Kleinzschachwitz, after years long neglect during East German times the area was reconstructed in the late 1990's, it is now again a very popular destination near the river Elbe ferry towards Pillnitz.
Kurhaus Klotzsche 1886/88 erbaut unter Einbeziehung der etwa seit 1850 bestehenden Gaststätte "Carolaschlößchen" und der Nachbarvilla "Elise". Das Gebäude war Ende des 19. Jh. Mittelpunkt des Kurbades Königswald und bis 1945 gesellschaftliches Zentrum von Klotzsche.

Nach dem Krieg zweckentfremdete Nutzung des Ballsaales als Lagerhalle und Verfall des gesamten Komplexes, Mitte der 1980er Jahre dann Schließung der Gaststätte. Ab 1993 erfolgte die schrittweise Sanierung zum Hotel und Restaurant, 1999 die Wiederherstellung des Ballsaales.

Kurländer Palais,  built in 1728/29 by Johann Christoph Knöffel, it was an example for Dresden's grand art e Kellergewölbes 1981 - 95 den Jazzclub "Tonneof rococo building. In 1945 destroyed to the ground its vaults accomodated between 1981 and 95 the Jazzclub "Tonne". The club had to move in 1995 because of the planned rebuild of the Waldschlößchenareal but went probably also "down" because of its awkward position.

Reconstruction plans (hotel with partailly public usage) were announced but have started in 2007.

Kügelgenhaus,  baroque town house, built in 1750 on the street Hauptstraße in the New Town. It was redidence of the Artist/Painter family Gerhard von Kügelgen. Today the house is a Museum for Dresden Romantism, in the ground floor is a cosy restaurant.

In neun thematisch gestalteten Räumen des Hauses wird eine bedeutsame Epoche der Dresdner Kultur- und Geistesgeschichte im 18./19. Jh. wieder lebendig, die weit über die Grenzen Dresdens Ausstrahlung besaß.

The proverb, attached to the house in golden letters says: "An Gottes Segen ist alles gelegen", in English "Everything depends on God's blessing".

Kühlhaus Weißeritzstraße, Ende 2005 wurde das alte Kühlhaus abgerissen. Dabei wurde versehentlich das daran befindliche und zu rettende Relief "Fünf-Jahr-Plan" zerstört.

Auf der freigewordenen Fläche wird 2006 ein Parkhaus und an der Ecke zur Friedrichstraße ein Hotel errichtet. An dessen Eckebereich soll auch eine Kopie des 8x5 m großen Reliefs angebracht werden.

Das zur Leonhardo-Gruppe gehörige Hotel darf aus Rechtsgründen nur L Hotel Dresden Altstadt heißen, da in Dresden bereits ein Leonhardo Hotel anderer Betreiber existiert.

Künstlerhaus,  artist house built in 1897/998 by Martin Pietzsch in Loschwitz, purposed for living and artist atelier. The massive and for the area too large appearing building (So, that existed before!) is heavily influenced by art nouveau was extensively refurbished since 1987 over several years.